PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide!

Jane
07-10-2005, 07:49 AM
I want a new camera so bad! I need some help from others with some knowledge!
First of all I don't have unlimited funds only about $400-$500 to go on.
I'm not a pro so don't talk in photo-geek launguage.
I want something good but fairly easy to use. I think I should stay with a point and shoot model simply because I don't know much about lighting, settings and such for a fully manual camera. I want one with high zoom and a good amount of mp. I take a lot of pictures at my kids ball games.

I have searched so many photo sites and models... I am confused!
I like some of the models that are PAS but also have manual options.
So my question is.. Which are brands are known to have good quality pictures but also are good, sturdy and yet easy to use camera?
I know! I know! Ya all love the Rebel ! My budget just can't swing it and I honestly don't think I'm ready for that yet!
Here are a few I have looked at:
Canon Powershot S2, Kodak DX7590, and Fuji Finepix S3100.
So what do you know about any of these?

Vania16
07-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Sadly, I don't know much about the ones you mentioned, but I'll tell you, I have the Olympus D-580 and I love it, but it's under the price range you're talking - I think they're down to about $200 now (it's 4MP). I have been really pleased with Olympus as a whole though - this is my second Olympus digital and I've gotten great pictures with both! Just my two cents :)

Kat Stokes
07-10-2005, 01:02 PM
I have the Fuji Fine Pix S3100. It seems to be a pretty good camera. Has more zoom than most and I think I only paid $250 for it. I really wanted the Nikon Coolpix 5500 but DH wanted something he could hold onto and that's why we got the Fuji. It's shutter speed kind of lags for me and it takes a moment to "reload". (Not sure of the proper terminology). But overall, it seems to be a good camera.

Have to admit, I usually pick up my Nikon N55 (Film) before the digital. I just love my Nikon!!!! (And it was only around $250 a year ago.....)

three-cowboys
07-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Yep, Kathi, I'm with you. Shutte lag will kill ya... LOL!

Unfortunately I don't know any of those cameras either. But I do have a Nikon Coolpix 4300 (discontinued). It's sub $500, and they have newer better models out.

Gotta love a Nikon!

Laura_A
07-10-2005, 05:58 PM
A friend of mine just got the Fuji S3100 and she loves it. I don't know much about the others. Good luck with your decision!

Jane
07-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Ok, Thanks girls! I have been reading all about cameras and I found out that the Kodak DX7590 is not worth the money. There are alot of bad feedbacks about how blurry the pictures come out in the high zoom mode.
I think I have made up my mind on the Canon Powershot S2. The only thing is that it has been so popular that is is sold out in most places! Wouldn't ya know it! Well I need to save a little more moolah for it anyway. It's $100 more than my budget allows right now.
Thanks for all your help.

noralong
07-10-2005, 11:15 PM
First, I have to say, I love my sony cybershot. It has 5 mp, and a 3x optical zoom. I have dropped it 3 times on concrete, and it has survived just fine. Before this one, I had 2 versions of HP digital cameras (both bit the dust after one bounce). All 3 were easy to learn how to use, but the Sony is just soooo much better.

And, as it happens, I just got a mag with the ratings in it (PC MAG, June 28, 2005). Of course bothe models of the Rebel were the highest, but there were several others that did very well, too.

Since you mentioned zoom, I just want to say, which ever camera you get, never (and I mean never) rely on digital zoom. You will waste your time and effort, because the photo is cropped by the camera. It will have lower resolution, and can be very out of focus. High optical zoom cameras inlude 2 panasonic lumix models, one (the DMC-FZ15) has a 12x optical zoom, but has a 3.5 recycle (time to reset for the next photo).

After that, the particular ones you mentioned didn't make the list at all. Fugi has a fine pix (ex-600) for about $350, but the recycle is over 4 seconds, and the memory is very expensive. Canon elph (sd500) seems to be a great compact camera with a 3x optical zoom and a quick little 2 second recycle. The other good bet is the Canon Power Shot S70, with 4x optical zoom, 7.1 mp, and a 2.5 second recycle rate. The cons to the Canon are that the zoom isn't always precise, and the camera doesn't take very good video.

After all that, I would encourage you to buy (or at least look at) magazines about both cameras and digital equipement before making a decision. One other thing to think about, is that you can get a Rebel from Dell for about $30 a month if you don't mind making payments!

MelissaL88
07-11-2005, 08:35 AM
Jane,
I have an Olympus D470. It is 3.2 MP, but has a whopping 10x Optical zoom. It was approx $350. I LOVE my camera! It takes the best pictures. It does have a bit of a lag to reload, but you can keep shooting without seeing the "preview" and it will load a little faster. We go to a lot of auto racing events. It does a super job with the zoom. It gets it closer than it seems through the view finder, if you can believe that.

There is a great site: dpreview that reviews digital camera, etc. I used that site extensively when researching my digi-camera purchase.

HTH~

MizAmyLou
08-31-2005, 05:11 PM
Sadly, I don't know much about the ones you mentioned, but I'll tell you, I have the Olympus D-580 and I love it, but it's under the price range you're talking - I think they're down to about $200 now (it's 4MP). I have been really pleased with Olympus as a whole though - this is my second Olympus digital and I've gotten great pictures with both! Just my two cents :)

I have to second this. I am VERY pleased with my olympus. I just purchased mine at Staples for $265 (its a tad older model, therefore cheaper) and it has 10x optical zoom, 4 MP. One of the things I love the most about it, besides the big optical zoom is the macro and super macro focus. You can be within 2 cm of your subject and it still be in focus. I have compared my pictures with some shot with an $900 olympus and a Rebel and could not see a difference. If you don't have the extensive photos skills for a manual one, your pictures won't look any better than if you had a $100 camera :)