PDA

View Full Version : Letters cut from patterned paper

suzy
07-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Marsha,

In the card you created for Leora you cut the letters out from various patterned papers - how did you do that? I love the way it looks and I would like to give it a go. Alos while I am here, can anyone tell me how to create the piping to use on the edge of papers I have cut with a curve (like holly used to have in her old header) - it makes the edge look so much neater. I use PSE3 if that helps. Thank you.

ScrapHappyME!
07-12-2005, 09:47 AM
I am not sure about the piped edge (I am thinking it might only be a PhotoShop-curve option...something PSE doesn't offer). But for the cut letters:

1. Select your TEXT tool

2. You will see the option to type normal text (the solid black T) or you will see a fat white T, outlined in dots. Select that.

3. Place on your patterned paper with desired text height and thickness, etc.

4. After you type, your text will be outlined in the 'marching ants'. You want to COPY and then bring it to your LO screen and PASTE.

5. You can also go to EDIT-STROKE after you've pasted to outline it and make it pop a little more.

HTH!

MarshaZepeda
07-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Hi Suzy,
The letters that you see are actually the alpha that comes with the kit... ;)

BUT, it is very easy to achieve the look. You can accomplish it in many different ways. One way (is the way mentioned above) or you can do this:

1. Type your text on the layer just above the pp.
2. CONTROL + G .
3. You will now have your pp INSIDE of the text. And it's movable... ;) Just make sure you 'link' the layers together. If you don't have them linked, you'll frustrate yourself trying to move it around, lol!

Another way to do it is this:

1. Type your text on the layer above the pp.
2. CONTROL + click the text layer to 'select' it (marching ants)
3. CONTROL + SHIFT + I to inverse the selection and delete.

hth!

OH! Also, the 'piping' that you see is actually the exact same curve cut into another pp (just thinner) with shadowing. The way I did it is this:

Once I made my curve, I control + clicked (selected/marching ants) it and then moved the selection over just enough. I inversed the selection and deleted the (second pp) unwanted area. THEN, select (control+click) the first curve again and delete the area from the second pp. You will now have a thin curve of pp to apply shadowing to...

hth!

(If I wasn't clear enough, let me know and I'll try to simplify the directions, lol! :D)

suzy
07-12-2005, 05:39 PM
This is great (A lot easier than I thought it would be). The instructions are great!!! Thank you both so much for this - I will have to try it tonight!!!