PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe there isn't a post here!

Tanya
07-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Ok so Since digital scrapbooking and scrapbooking in general has been going toward more of a graphic look with white spaces and such I'm thinking that digiscrapping will start borrowing more from the graphic design world. Grey is HOT in graphic design right now. Grey is the neutral to beat all neutrals. It doesn't have to be drab a little grey can go a long way and spread out your color without feeling oversaturated.

Also I think that typography ( more than just word art) is going to be hotter than ever. check out a book fromt he library or amazon.com about typography. the art of design with type! it's awesome.

If you want to stay on those hot trends be sure that no m atter what trend you follow keep in mind the general design principles that are present in any art.

ScrapHappyME!
07-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Ooooh I'm going to have to look for that book! I love good fonts and text!

I think right now, it's ALL about papers! Everyone just loves paper.... patterned stuff mostly. I know when I d/l a kit, it's the first thing I look at - my papers!!

holly
07-12-2005, 12:07 PM
True! You don't see too many elements used by some....I think that's cool!

ljbarden
07-12-2005, 12:23 PM
What's an element? :p

I agree, it's all about the paper at the moment. I was shopping for new summer clothes today and I saw a funky distress striped shirt, my first reaction was seriously "Ooh! That'd make a great paper!"

Kat Stokes
07-12-2005, 12:50 PM
I find myself looking at clothing all of the time thinking it would make great SB paper! LOL!!! For the most part, I am limited on my element usage but maybe it's because I don't like the cluttered or collage look (for my stuff).

SAHMom
07-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Anyone have any suggestions for good design books?? I have ordered the Ali Edwards book... name is escaping me right now.... as well as Cathy Z's book. I'll admit it, I have NO CLUE about design! I just kind of go by what looks right to me. But I bet my scrapping skills could improve IMMENSELY by knowing a few design rules!

KimMauch
07-12-2005, 03:55 PM
One design book that I found really helpful is "The non designers design book".
I've read through it a few times and learned SO much. I am looking to get more design books, there are some great ones out there.
Kim

Vania16
07-12-2005, 04:16 PM
I've been meaning to get that "non-designer's" book - I've heard nothing but rave reviews! I will also jump on the "I love papers" bandwagon - such a fan of cool papers!

holly
07-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Look at magazine ads! TOTAL inspiration!

noralong
07-12-2005, 04:23 PM
oh yah, I am always ripping out ads from magazines. My family thinks I am nuts! Worse, at the doctors office, there I am ripping out ads (with no article content on the other side), and people look at me like "what's her problem?"
That would be a fun challenge! For each of us to find our own ad, and scraplift it. Then, post both the ad and our scraplift!

Laura_A
07-12-2005, 05:03 PM
I love using magazine ads for inspiration. Sometimes I love just using the colors in an ad and other times the compostion of the ad makes the perfect LO!

Tanya, that's interesting about grey, I didn't see that coming.

paula_duncan
07-13-2005, 03:23 AM
That sounds like a great idea...I do the same thing with magazines and clothes...hehehe.

suzy
07-13-2005, 09:30 AM
I have both Ali Edwards and Cathy Z's books and I refer to them often - they are fantastic sources of inspiration. I would recommend them both to anyone who is looking. I have only been digi-scrapping for a short time and am still experimenting with my style - I love so many different styles and I find that I refer to books and mags often. I guess for me I am going through a stage of trying them all out to see which one fits me best.

I agree about the paper - I buy more paper packs these days than kits because I find that I just dont use the elements (except maybe the ribbons). I have so many elements I know I will never use, but there are some papers I have used time after time.

I laughed when I read peoples comments about seeing things and thinking they would make great paper - I do that all the time!!! My MIL is also a digi-scrapper and we drive people crazy commenting on things like that all the time.

I noticed that there is a category in the forums for an inspiration challenge. I am guessing that we will be designing layouts using ads as inspiration. Is that right? If so, I have done them on other sites and they are so much fun!!!

moischka0595
07-13-2005, 10:23 AM
I wish I knew what the trends were. I find it so fascinating to compare what was popular in scrapbooking a few years ago and what's popular now. Of course I was never a big paper scrapper. I wanted to be, but it was always so much hassle for me (4 boys'll do that to ya :lol: ).

I agree with what Suzy said about the kits and having so many of the same "type" of elements over and over. For that reason, I can definitely see going with just the paper packs. But for some reason, I still get the kits. I don't know why. I guess I keep hoping I'll see some really unique, really usable element in the kits.

As far as seeing things in clothing and ads, that's me too. I see stuff all the time and think, 'that would make a great texture, or pattern' or whatever. I've started also really noticing things on commercials, not so much as what would make a nice paper but more design or composition ideas. I love when that happens. I always try to make a mental note or quick, run and sketch it in my book so I'll have it for next time I need an idea.

holly
07-13-2005, 10:31 AM
I used to do this but since took my camera out - but I have a small camera I keep in my purse to snap a shot of any patterns or fabrics I see out there. In fact, I did it at Omaha cause mom had my old digital in her purse! LOL

ScrapHappyME!
07-13-2005, 12:53 PM
LOL Great idea Holly!

Magazine ads are especially great if you are into white space- which is hot right now!

I think stitching is pretty popular too. I love a good stitch! Holly really has the knack for creating them and if I may say, my absolute favorite is the double zig zag stitch from "A Charmed Life".

And I LOVE alphas! They never go out of style with me. :)

What about brushes? I love to give my pages more of a "stamped" feel and opposed to a "brushed" look more times then not. I think brushes are a great way to add that extra personal touch to your page.

And along the brush lines, if you create your own....you can get inspiration from ANYWHERE! Just like everyone was talking about with magazine ads and fabrics in stores.... you can make brushes out of everything! I've scanned in marbles, a knotted section of organza ribbon, crumpled foil......... it's always fun to experiment in that dept.

I love a good design book. Right now, I am really enjoying Cathy Zielske's book. I'll have to look into the "non-designer" one too!

andreavictoria
07-13-2005, 02:58 PM
ITA with you Tanya. I know that with my own LOs they tend to be a little more graphic than others. Since I'm new to scrapping in general, let alone digi I don't really know how to do it any other way. White space is my favorite, I will definately have to look into using some gray in my LOs.

Along the lines of inspiration, I find most of my inspiration from magazines, not necessarily Scrapbook magazine, but mostly from the ones that I read already, Martha Stewart Living, Parenting, InStyle, the list goes on. The ads in there are always inspiring.

Thanks for the book recos, I will definately check them out!

Catherine S
07-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Another great idea book is Simple Scrapbook's Scrapbook Inspiration. It's all about being inspired by: the world of print, home decor, fashion, media, etc.

MelissaL88
07-14-2005, 11:45 PM
I agree with the book recomendations: Ali Edwards' book "A Designer's Eye" and Cathy Z's book "Clean and Simple Scrapbooking" are great! Another one to check out is Autumn Leaves' "Designing with Simplicity." It doesn't have the great text that Cathy Z's book has...but it has some great ideas. I just picked up the Simple Inspirations mag...haven't really had a chance to read through it carefully. But already have marked a few pages in it!
I read a lot of fashion mags (because I love sewing). I find a lot of inspiration from the color combinations. The home dec mags are a great source of layout inspiration...at least for me.

I'm gonna go check out Amazon for the "non designers" book. Sounds like something I will enjoy.

sweetmindy
07-16-2005, 07:22 PM
I have to agree with everyone. Graphic look i sooo in. Everytime i put elements on my LO I end up not liking it and taking them off. I love white space, the more the better. I think i have to have a little white space somewhere in my LOS. I gotta try a little of black and grey in my LO.

I love to look thru books and cloths for inspiration just like most of you and today when i when to kohl I saw a few catchy pattern thinking to myself dame I wish i have my camera with me!!!!

Leora
07-19-2005, 12:44 AM
I have to agree with "graphic" being in. Chatterbox told us when designing our LOs for the next Coming Home idea book that they were looking for "cleaner" pages that were sleek and graphic. They did pick up some LOs that had their original "look" but I know I did several that were clean lined just b/c that is my style. It is kind of funny b/c my sister didn't really favor my LOs before (about 2 yrs ago) b/c they were clean but that is why she is asked me to be on the DT recently..b/c that is the trend and they want to keep up with the trends.

I too look at any and everything for inpsiration! I usually just pick out a certain element of a billboard or mag ad that I like. I sometimes will carry with me a sketchbook that I altered...so I can jot down ideas that I come across.