PDA

View Full Version : copyright for freebees question

MiniMouse
07-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Iíve been designing elements and papers for the last few months and Iíd just love to give some of them out as freebees so I could get some feedback, but eventually Iíd like to become a real designer and I donít understand how copyrighting works. It looks like even the freebees are copyrighted (the ones Iíve looked at).
Do you have to register with a copyrighting agency or have a business license?

Any input would be helpful!

mamakimberly
07-05-2006, 02:21 PM
if you made it, you hold the copyright. period.

sinead
07-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Kimberly is correct, however...

There's a long list of copyright info, some quite technical. Jen Strange has done a great job of explaining all of this on her blog, and you could also check out the extension blog about Digital Piracy.

Basically, if you include a TOU (a terms of use document) and express clearly that people are allowed to use your designs for their own enjoyment, etc., but NOT allowed to use them for commerical use or reproduce them and rename them or give them away, etc (check out some of the TOUs of the TDC designers--they're nice and clear), then you have what's referred to as a Poor Man's Copyright. Yep, you have the copyright, but since you didn't file it with the copyright office or pay the fee or register it, there may not be much you can do legally if someone pirates your stuff. Again, there's MUCH more clear and detailed info about this at Jen Strange's blog. Digiscrapping is still so new and there is currently a huge effort going on to get Digital Piracy both stopped and recognized as the theft that it is, so there are lots of changes going on in this arena.

Good for you for thinking about giving it a go and also for looking ahead to the future! Good luck! If I get a chance later, I'll try to post direct links to both of those blogs I mentioned--no time right at this moment. :regular_s Hope that helps!

MiniMouse
07-05-2006, 10:22 PM
thanks so much!

Hopefully I'll be posting kits soon :)

chloe
07-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Can't wait to see what you come up with! And I would also strongly recommend Jen Strange's blog(s), she makes copyright, pirating and all that stuff very understandable, even for me (which is quite a thing! LOL)