PDA

View Full Version : A message for those who don't submit their work:

KimMauch
07-17-2005, 02:47 PM
Ladies -
Your work is fabulous! For those of you who would like to submit their work for publication - PLEASE DO SO. There are so many fabulous pages that I see in the gallery that I think, "Man, she is crazy if she doesn't submit that one."

I completly understand those who never want to submit their work for publication. It is a personal decision and I respect everyone's unique point of view.

This message is for those who want to submit and be published, but just need to be pushed to do so. Consider this message me pushing you!!!

On a related note: I LOVE having pages picked up that have used papers from my favorite designers. I feel like I am "giving back" to them in some small way. So, lets get Holly's stuff in the mags. What's good for Holly is good for this site and all of us. :0)

***Now stepping back OFF my soapbox***

Kim :0)

three-cowboys
07-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Kim, you are too funny! Yeah, I'm with Kim. If you always wanted to submit, but was thinking, "Gosh I don't know if my stuff is good..." Well, you won't know til you do it. So just do it!! Gor for it. You never know... :)

Ms. Scrappy Pants
07-17-2005, 10:17 PM
You know...I think the same way.... some people are into it, some aren't... that's just fine. So I'm definitely a submitter... if my stuff gets published, great. If it doesn't... I'm not insulted... whatever!! But my question to you, Kim and Linda, and whoever else replies to this thread... do you just submit your work to the general call? Or do you submit to specific calls? Do you submit everything you create that you love? Because my thinking is... if you make a page and you love it, why NOT submit it? the worst they can say is no... then you're no worse off than you are right now!! And for me, that's a pretty good place to be!! What do you guys do? Or anyone else?

three-cowboys
07-17-2005, 11:25 PM
I don't submit that often. Every now and then I check scrap-source.com, and if there is a call there for something that I already have, I send it in. I've never sent anything for a general call. That said, the gals at the pub (2peas) seem to have had success with general calls.

I've only had one thing picked up, so I'm so NOT the person to ask! LOL!

KimMauch
07-17-2005, 11:36 PM
I submit everything that I make, except for the layouts that I create here for the monthly guest designer (because they are scraplifts). I mostly submit to calls is I have a layout that fits. However, MM is very good about holding on to your layouts for a very long time and calling when they have a spot for them. I got called for 4 pet pages (my biggest toot ever!) and 2 were ones I had submitted 6 months ago. It is much easier to get into an idea book than a regular issue of a magazine. I think all but 2 of my layouts that have been picked up are in idea books / special issues. Does that help answer your question? Sorry for such a long-winded response. As you can see, this is an area that I am really passionate about. Kim

andreavictoria
07-18-2005, 12:21 AM
The few pages that I have submitted were to SS, no calls. I will definately send some to MM and see what happens.

When I have submitted in the past, I submitted for General Calls, I didn't have anything that went with their more specific themes.

But ITA, I just love making LOs. If they take them, great. But if not, then nothing lost. But being published is not too shabby=).

ScrapHappyME!
07-18-2005, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the extra push Kim and everyone else. :)

Heck, I'll be proud to be published anywhere but in a book? And that's easier? That seems awesome!!

tracimurphy
07-18-2005, 08:00 AM
I've only submitted twice, both times to SS, which I now hear has favorites. I never got a call back, which shattered my ego. I know I shouldn't take it personally, but for someone who's not sure if their pages are good to the rest of the scrapping community (my family likes them, though-yay!) not getting a call back is a bit depressing.
Wah! I sound like my 5 year old daughter not getting her way :) Any pity is appreciated - ha ha!
Traci

Leora
07-18-2005, 04:30 PM
thanks for the push..I need to submit more of my digi LOs...I am working on it!

SAHMom
07-18-2005, 08:52 PM
Okay, I really WILL work up the nerve one day (and the time to figure out how to submit... and the time to actually DO it).

three-cowboys
07-19-2005, 09:23 AM
Traci, the thing about submitting is not expecting anything from the get go. That said, I totally know how you feel. I too get really bummed sometimes, but it's totally not personal. The mags just pick whatever fits their theme, style, etc of the moment. It has nothing to do with the quality of your work, or creativity. You are great! Yep, it would be great to be published and recognized (and believe me, I want that!!!). But if it doesn't happen, you shouldn't let it diminish who you are as a scrapper!

It's important to keep in mind why we all scrap. For me, in the end, it is about a great hobby I enjoy, and recording little details of our lives for my kids.

Keep submitting. Keep getting your name out there. It will happen!

Jheri
08-01-2005, 09:41 AM
I have never submitted, actually I'm not really sure how one does it. Do you just send an email with your layout as an attachment?

How do you know if they have picked yours?

I can very well imagine that you'd be thrilled if you were picked and really disappointed if your not.

Maybe I should give it a whirl......... what's the worse that can happen, not getting picked I guess. :)

wilowfaery
12-15-2005, 04:20 AM
I have a quick question for you gals! Can you submit the same LO to different calls at the same time, or is that a big no-no?

InLoveWithDOTS
12-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Kim, Were the pet LO's picked up by MM digi layouts or paper layouts? I have experience in the paper publishing world, but would love to expand my experience in the digi publishing world and I am just curious if MM published digi pages.....

KimMauch
12-15-2005, 09:15 PM
All of the layouts that I have had picked up are digital. Hope this helps.

Kim :0)

InLoveWithDOTS
12-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Thanks, Kim!

AmyJo
12-16-2005, 04:25 PM
You can submit the same layout to multiple publishers at the same time, but if more than one chooses it, you can only release to ONE of them :)

I submit everything I do to Scrapbook Trends (because I am convinced they like me - ha ha ha - whether it's true or not) and sometimes remember scrap submit - but that takes so much longer!!

BubblyKori
12-17-2005, 12:15 AM
I don't know the first thing about publication. I wouldn't know where or how to submit a layout for submission. I don't know where they are then published or announced or any of that. It would be helpful if you would make a thread detailing where, how, when, etc for those of us who are new to scrapbooking.

jenniferpebbles
12-17-2005, 02:19 AM
Well, I know DMM is always looking for submissions...think about it...spring is coming, easter, st. paddy's day....of course more specifics will come out soon, but what's good for the magazine is good for you as well...like Kim said in her original post. We are so excited to bring you a great publication, but we need your help to get it to that point..KWIM?

Lindsay
12-19-2005, 11:10 AM
I think the frustrating thing for me is knowing what they want to see. I've been very fortunate to have been published going on 4 times now (3 paper and 1 digi coming out in MM). But the layouts that I think are awesome don't get picked up and the layouts that are ho-hum are getting published, so I need to start submitting everything and not being so selective! It's obvious that I don't know what's great LOL!

Chef
12-19-2005, 12:24 PM
I never submit. I guess I am so busy that I just don't devote any time to looking at calls and submitting.

I think I submitted once to CK and SS through their website interface and didn't hear anything. No rejection, no confirmation...nothing. Not sure if it ever reached the editors' inbox. Who knows?

Anyway, I would like to submit.....I just need a kick in the butt to do it.

What is the best way to submit? Through the magazine's online form...or through Scrap Submit or through email?

Susan