PDA

View Full Version : What are you fave PS brushes?

andreavictoria
07-19-2005, 05:32 PM
The filter thread got me thinking about brushes. What are you favorites, favorite websites, etc?

SimplySara
07-19-2005, 10:16 PM
Normally I make my own brushes, but there are lots of great brush sites.

Pretty Brush is awesome, but she's at devianart now. TrulySarah is there too, and is great.

There are some great brush search engines as well. The main problem I have with brushes is either the files are too large (I have dial up!!) or the brushes themselves are tiny. Like 100 pixles. Those are more for avatar creations.

What I would love to know is what KINDS of brushes people like to see. I like grunge ones for paper effects, but what else?

Great thread. Curious to see what other people have to say.

Sara

andreavictoria
07-19-2005, 11:14 PM
I have collected a ton of brushes, but have been too afraid to use them...lol!

Grungry ones are great for inking edges (I say this as if I have actually done that, ROFLOL!). I've seen some more decorative type ones, like scrolls and florals and other foliage, great for doing ATCs. Circle brushes are always good.

A site that I have found is chinaberry, cool brushes and she has links to other sites that are also cool.

SimplySara
07-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Is chinaberry back open? Everytime I've been the site hasn't worked. Maybe my computer just wont let me view it.

Why are you afraid to use brushes? I would die without mine!!

Leora
07-20-2005, 12:28 AM
I bought a set a while back but have not used them b/c they won't open in my version of PS..6.0. Is there a diff way to open them?

holly
07-20-2005, 12:34 AM
hmmm, leora, some brushes won't open in 6 depending on what they are created with. check before purchasing to see. i've been including .png files with mine in case the brushes themselves are not compatible.

jasbeanie
08-21-2005, 06:12 AM
ooooo i love making brushes and using them.. i only wished they would be bigger than 2500 pixels........ hehehe.

Kat Stokes
08-21-2005, 10:47 AM
I like Rhonna's but I still can't figure out how to use them right. I have PSE 3.0. Can you change their color? I liked the way they looked when I used the Selection Brush Tool but they wouldn't stay. If I clicked off of it to do something else the brush would disappear. (As you can see, I still don't understand some of the tools in my program...)

Leora
08-21-2005, 11:17 AM
so how do you create your own brushes?? I have been meaning to ask for awhile now! :)

SimplySara
08-21-2005, 12:04 PM
leora,

Creating brushes is very easy. I normally desaturate the color of the image I'm using, and play with the brightness and contrast if it's a texture. Note that different levels of opacity will show in the brush, which can be fun to play with.

Anyways, once you have the image how you want it (and it can't be any larger than 2500x2500 pixles) Go to Edit > Define Brush. Click ok, and you're done!

Hope that helps.
Sara

lunafaerie
08-21-2005, 12:23 PM
I like Rhonna's but I still can't figure out how to use them right. I have PSE 3.0. Can you change their color? I liked the way they looked when I used the Selection Brush Tool but they wouldn't stay. If I clicked off of it to do something else the brush would disappear. (As you can see, I still don't understand some of the tools in my program...)

It took me a while to get used to them too, but now I'm hooked, you can use any color you like with a brush, just choose your color from the color pallet and when you you it on the the page, wala, it's color! I'm not quite sure how to use the selection brush tool, just stick to the regular brush, that should work fine. I haven't used PSE3 in awhile, but brushes should work the same as in PSCS. If you download brushes, you might have compatibility problems.

Leora
08-21-2005, 04:13 PM
OMG...I cannot believe it was that simple and I am just NOW asking how to do it!!! LOL...thanks a bunch!!! I appreciate it! :)

Leora
08-21-2005, 06:18 PM
okay...so I was able to create a brush but when I use the saved brush, it looks white..not in color like I saved it as. I am so confused! What I did was took a pic and then used brushes over it to make it look weathered or worn and then I made it a brush..but then when I go to use it, it just looks like a big white spot instead of what I saved it as...any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Leora
08-21-2005, 06:34 PM
here is a LO done by rhonna farrer...so how does she do that with her pics.. I guess this is really what I am trying to figure out how to do...

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/pg.asp?cmd=display&layout_id=463833

SimplySara
08-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Brushes save in black and white and grey. Whatever is white in the image you turn into a brush wont show up. If you have PSCS you can save the image as a symbol, which is a vector that can be sized however you would like without effecting the pixles, and the colors stay.It doesn't look like any of the brushes Rhonna used were in color. If they were it was whatever solid color she chose it to be.

I could be wrong, but it looks like she used a lot of layer masks, which I'm stillnot up to par on using. I would look up some tutorials on layer masks in order to get that affect.

Leora
08-23-2005, 12:35 AM
thanks SO much Sara!!! I emailed Rhonna about what she did and YES it is a mask...she is sooo nice!