PDA

View Full Version : help me I'm drowning!

ScrapHappyME!
07-27-2005, 10:07 AM
LOL

I just installed my PSCS2 and I hate it! LOL - ok kidding. But right now, I feel like I just started digi scrapping - I don't know what on Earth I am doing!?

A few random thoughts maybe someone cares to help me with:

~I canNOT find the drop shadow palette? Wha?

~I heard there was no cookie cutter tool - is that really true though? Wah..I loved that thing! How do you all make element shapes and stuff then? I used to use my cookie cutter...

~How do you get a picture into b&w? I used to just remove the color, but that's not an option.

~I am NOT seeing a paint bucket tool.........

~I am only seeing one generic brush category. Surely there is more, like Wet Media, Square, etc. I want to re-install my old brushes and I want them separated into categories.......

Ok I am sure there are a TON more! Those are just some issues I am having within the first 30 seconds of opening the program up. ;)

p.s. Any books you'd recommend for me to read?

MarshaZepeda
07-27-2005, 11:19 AM
Are you coming from Elements? If so, I know that the tools are called different names...
Let me see if I can help you.......

~I canNOT find the drop shadow palette? Wha?
Right click on the layer and the blending options will be the second option down.

~I heard there was no cookie cutter tool - is that really true though? Wah..I loved that thing! How do you all make element shapes and stuff then? I used to use my cookie cutter...
In the third section down (in your tools) there is a rectangle with a flyout. Click on the flyout and choose your 'custom shapes' tool. (It looks like a wiggly blob.) Your shape choices are at the top in your menu bar.

~How do you get a picture into b&w? I used to just remove the color, but that's not an option.
There are lots of different ways ppl do this. One way is to CONTROL + ALT + U to pull up the hue/saturation box and desaturate. You could also use IMAGE > MODE> GRAYSCALE (in the menu bar.) OR you could even use actions to achieve b&w's...

~I am NOT seeing a paint bucket tool.........
In the second area (in the tools) it's the 3rd one down on the right. (If you click on the flyout, you should see a gradient and a bucket...)

~I am only seeing one generic brush category. Surely there is more, like Wet Media, Square, etc. I want to re-install my old brushes and I want them separated into categories.......
In the menu bar, pull down the menu and you'll see a little black arrow inside a circle on the upper right hand corner. Click on that you'll see your options to load brushes. Towards the bottom of the menu, you'll see the brushes you're talking about.

btw - you don't want to 'load' all your brushes at one time. I have them in a seperate folder on my hard drive and only load the ones I'm going to use. Then I'll 'uninstall' them when I'm done. It will slow down your program if you have too many loaded into the program files...

As for books, anything by Scott Kelby is a MUST! ;) I have his book "Down and Dirty tricks for PS7" and another book by Steve Caplin called "How to cheat in Photoshop". I LOVE those books! ;)

hth!
(btw, once you get the hang of it, you're gonna LOVE CS2!) :D

ScrapHappyME!
07-27-2005, 01:09 PM
Marsha you rock! THANKS! I am off to test out all of your tips now....

BTW- I never realized I shoulnd't have all of my brushes loaded! Interesting.

I am also going book shopping later today. I have heard of the Scott Kelby book - thanks again!

ScrapHappyME!
07-27-2005, 01:09 PM
Oh and yes - I am coming from PSE3.

MarshaZepeda
07-27-2005, 01:17 PM
And you shouldn't have all of your fonts 'installed' either. You should use a font manager and only install the ones you need at the moment. Too many fonts can cause your comp to freeze, too... :)

ScrapHappyME!
07-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Gotcha. :)

Thanks for the good tuts Marsha & Holly! I've been playing with text on a path and making curves........

Off the top of my head (and this seems the easiest question possible!) - is there a quick way to pull up a fresh, new page? In PSE, there was a little white paper you could click. In CS2, I am finding I need to go up into File everytime.

I need to get a book on actions to make things easier for myself!

MarshaZepeda
07-27-2005, 02:15 PM
You could use CONTROL + N to open new. AND the cool thing about CS and CS2 is that you can save preset sizes! :)

ScrapHappyME!
07-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Yes! I just saved my preset 8x8, 300dpi. Is it 8 bit or 16 bit that I want?

Sorry - I'll probably keep popping in here with random questions!

lovesher2boys
07-28-2005, 02:19 AM
I'm glad someone answered these for you, Gina!!
I told you that it sounded like Elements was more user friendly! :D
You'll get used to CS2 in no time flat and end up LOVING it!!
I may go find a book one of these days just to see what it has that I don't yet know about ;)