PDA

View Full Version : rounded corners

Ms. Scrappy Pants
07-31-2005, 11:39 AM
DANGIT! I thought about posting under an "alias" but I see my name plain as day right under the title of the thread.... I just figured being ON the creative team it wouldn't be too cool to come here as "ASK" the creative team... so you know... I'm just coming here to ask how everyone's doin'.... yeah.... ya know... how are things going everyone? No big whoop....... nothing to see here........ Just checkin' in with my buddies on the creative team..... so you can just move along to the next post now..... we'll see ya later!!! Thanks for stopping by.............

PSSSSSSSTTTTTT.... hey guys.... down here........how do you make rounded corners? I have pse 3.0... does it involve my eliptical lasso and my eraser? I'm not totally figuring it out. Thanks for your help.... and shhhhhhhhh!!!

ljbarden
07-31-2005, 11:53 AM
Lauren, you crack me up!!

I have PS7, but I would think it would be fairly similar? What I do is create a new shape layer using the rounded rectangle shape tool. This'll round all the corners, if I don't want that, I'll also create a normal rectangle, erase the corner from that that I want rounded and flatten both shapes together. Then I usually group this layer with the photo/pattern so I can resize either until I'm happy, but you can just cut the shape out of the layer, like described in the alphas thread in here.

MarshaZepeda
07-31-2005, 11:59 AM
One way I used to do it before PSCS made it easier is this way:

-Drag out guidelines perfectly around the photo.
-Add a layer mask to the photo
-Make a round selection (elliptical marquee and
hold shift to make it a perfect circle) in the
corner (using your guides!)
-Control + Shift + I to inverse the selection
-Use your brush to 'erase' the corner
-inverse the selection again and making sure your
marquee tool is clicked, drag the selection to
the next corner and repeat the process for each
corner.

Kinda a chore, I know, but worth it if you really want the round corners. :)

btw, if the selection de-selects itself, just control + z to get the selection back.
hth! :)

happyrobyn
07-31-2005, 12:15 PM
I'll join in here to as an "asker" ... So you say it's easier in PSCS ... do tell!!!!

lunafaerie
07-31-2005, 04:37 PM
I'm not sure if this is the best way, but in PS CS (also works in PS7) I make the rounded rectangle shape on a new layer, rasterize, then drag the layer below the photo, then I use the clipping mask to clip the photo into the shape of the rounded rectangle shape. On a Mac you can use a shortcut to do the clipping by holding your cursor over the line which seperates the two layers in the layers pallet and holding down the option key. When the cursor changes to two circles and an arrow click your mouse. The layer on top will now be the shape of the layer below.
This way I avoid using the eraser, if I don't like what I've done, I just unclip the photo and start over.

I've also tried this in PSE 2 (not in PSE3) and know that it works there too. There is no menu item for Clipping Mask but the keyboard shortcut works, I'm assuming it would be the same for PSE3.

three-cowboys
07-31-2005, 04:46 PM
Lauren, you silly. To avoid being detected, you need to post pantless! ;)

In PSE3, don't you have a stamp thingy? i used the trial version, and I remember using the stamp to stamp out rounded corner photos. Helpful, eh?

MarshaZepeda
08-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Okay girls, I'm attaching screen shots as a mini tut... I'll make a more in depth one to post later... :)

-Remember, this is for PSCS and above... won't work for older versions... sorry! :(
#1: Choose your rounded rectangle tool from the tool menu
#2: Up at the top in your menu bar, change your RADIUS to about 200 PIXELS
#3: Drag out your rounded rectangle shape. I usually make it a pink or red color at about 50% opacity and place it over my pic. From here you can control + click on it and inverse and delete or layer mask it or whatever your fancy is... :)

hth! :D

ScrapHappyME!
08-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Lauren I can't take it! You are freakin' hilarious! ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Becky
08-01-2005, 04:43 PM
Ok....so where is the rounded rectangle tool in Photoshop 7.0? Is there one...or am I a total dunce? ;) (That last part is hypothetical..you don't have to answer that! LOL)

NancyS
08-01-2005, 05:25 PM
It is on the Shapes Tool - blessedbygod has a screenshot in her post.

Then on the options bar across the top you can put the amount you want for the rounded corner - smaller number means less curve to the corner.

Hope this helps.

happyrobyn
08-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys! Maybe I'll try this in my next layout.

MarshaZepeda
08-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Becky, I don't believe that this option is available in any version sooner than CS... sorry... :(

KimMauch
08-02-2005, 10:10 AM
It took me forever to learn this trick! Then I used it on every layout... now I just like to round some corners and leave others square for a funky look.
Kim

Aunti M
11-24-2005, 01:45 PM
You gals are so great about helping everybody...How about making rounded corners in Digital Image Suite 9? I did find a way to add a shape, then fill it with color or a picture...It worked great for a square, but when I stretched it into a rectangle the corners were not nice anymore.
Can a person use those cool page templates in DIP9? I realize this is off the subject...but, maybe someone here will know?!?!?!
Maybe I should ask santa to bring me new software for Christmas?!?!? Seems like a lot of the tut's are for other programs. Are they better? Easier to use? More versatile? Help!!!

OliveJuice
11-24-2005, 11:05 PM
I just figured out a way in DIP but I don't know if it is the best or easiest.....After you've opened up a new canvas and inserted your picture that you want rounded, insert a circle from the shapes menu into the corner of the picture. Then using your freehand selection tool draw around the corner of the picture and the curve part of the circle. (I find it's easiest if I zoom in to 200 or 300%) Then delete the selected area. Now you'll have a rounded corner with a circle on top. Just delete the circle and you're all set.
Does that even make sense?!?!? :confused_