The DigiChick

organizing a Mac

I saw the offer to help with any questions. Thanks so much and here I go.

Just wondering what is the best way to organize scrapbooking stuff on a Mac? I know to use iphoto but just wondering if there are any other tips and tricks I need before I really get going. I haven't gotten any kits on my Mac yet and I would like to do it "right" the first time.

Thanks
    JD

Hi! I'm still a newbie here, but here is what I do with all the digi-scrapping stuff on iPhoto.

I made some iPhoto galleries and name them like 'kits-I-bought' 'freebies-kits' etc. On each gallery I set up keywords, i.e. paper, element, designer's name, etc.

iPhoto galleries can not be opened at the same time, you have to close the current gallery before you could open the other gallery. And you have to rename the current gallery if you want to open the other gallery, otherwise it will just automatically open the gallery you just close. Sounds confusing? Not to worry, 'coz there is a program called 'iPhoto Buddy' (download for free at Apple's d/l section).

Using this 'iPhoto Buddy', there is no need to rename the galleries, but you still need to close the current gallery before you can open the other. It's easier than it sounds.

Good luck with you iPhoto & Mac, you're gonna love them :regular_s
    Last edited by chibikko; 08-29-2005 at 12:03 PM.

I don't actually use iPhoto for mine, I just have a folder called digi elements which then has folders for each site that I have downloaded from and then they have a folder for the kit. But then I don't really use them much so I I guess I don't really need to be using iPhoto

I don't use iPhoto for my kits. I just save them in a digi scrapping folder and then have other folders in that one for different designers or sites I got the kits from. With PSE it's pretty easy to browse your folders and that's what I use.

There's also a program called Shoebox that looks really good. It's new and I've had it crash a few times so I haven't used it much but I just realized that they have a new version out so maybe it'll be better.

Here's the link in case you're interested. It's by Kavasoft.

i dont use iphoto either. I have them all on my ehd in folders
    Digi scrapping- site- desginer- kit
    ~~Andie~~

looks like all the people who don't use iPhoto have a similar way of organising their file hehehe. It really is the best way to do it so you can give credit where it is due...

If you don't use iphoto is there any way you can search for the perfect element? For instance on my pc I have tried to organize with the PSE organizer and I use keywords to search, if I want a paperclip I can search for it instead of opening a bunch of files. I guess I was wondering if there is something like that for a mac - but maybe with a Mac I won't need that!

I just use finder or when I am opening it in photoshop and I havn't decided which elements to use I just use the preview thingy you get when you click on the file (hmmmm did that even make sense? LMAO).

oh also if you have Tiger and your files are named for what the are (say like all your ribbons are named ribbon_1 ect) you could use spotlight to find them, just search ribbon and it should pull all the files with a mention of ribbon.

Spotlight is the best searching tool anyone's ever developed, it will pretty much find everything.
    If I have a kit in mind when scrapping I tend to use the PSCS browser. But if I'm looking for a specific element then I use iPhoto. I have all my galleries burned onto DVD and they automatically open up into iPhoto when I insert the disk, that way I don't have to close the current gallery containing my photos. For instance, I have all my Digi Chick folders on my an iPhoto DVD. If I know I want to look in there i pop it in and it opens in the current window of iPhoto. Really handy that way. It's also a great way to go back & forth between my Desktop and Laptop.
    Tania aka lunafaerie

Quote Originally Posted by b-racer
    I saw the offer to help with any questions. Thanks so much and here I go.

Just wondering what is the best way to organize scrapbooking stuff on a Mac? I know to use iphoto but just wondering if there are any other tips and tricks I need before I really get going. I haven't gotten any kits on my Mac yet and I would like to do it "right" the first time.

Thanks
    JD
    I don't use any program at all to organize my files. I have a folder named "Scrapbook Kits" and then I have files inside with the designer's name on them, and keep them in separate folders.

I use Photoshop 7, so when I'm making a page I use the File Browser which shows me all the thumbnails of the elements so that I know what I'm choosing.

I use iPhoto for my pictures and use the File Browser to choose which pictures I want to work with as well.

Hi Gals,
    I must admit to starting to use iphoto along with iphoto library manager to organizing my photos as well as my kits that I've downloaded. My "digi scrappin" gallery I have the folder of every designer and within that folder I have an album of the kit eg. Shabby Princess as my folder then sweet serenity as the album. This way I can:
    a/. must easier to download (if you use a normal mouse to right click you can download directly to iphoto or control+click of course this only works if your using safari
    b/.keep a track of what I have already downloaded
    c/.I also use photoprinto to do really quick layouts and use the papers & elements in the kits.

I've use the other software mention showbox, it's a great program but I've noticed it doesn't pick up on all file types. The other program I use is good old ACDsee for mac.

I hope some of these ideas might be able to help you in organizing your Mac.
    Good Luck,
    TwitchingBunny