The DigiChick

How'd your DH propose to you?

In case it's not enough to just tell your meeting story

Josh and I were informally engaged for a little bit, having a date set and everything, but no proposal yet. I went out with mom to find my wedding dress while he went out to look for a ring, so I knew it was coming at some point.
    He made reservations at a beautiful, fancy restaurant. We both got dressed up. I knew it was going to happen that night. I was so excited!!
    Dinner was amazing. Partway through, I asked him the single most stupid question to ever come out of my mouth: "so, is there any special reason for this dinner?" :rofl: He very smoothly said, "well, neither of us had ever been here before, so I thought it would be nice."
    No ring. No proposal. I was shocked!
    He dropped me off at my car (we had met halfway so he didn't have to do so much driving) and I called my family to warn them not to look for a ring. I was surprised, but not too disappointed.

The next day I went to work, and my mom emailed me, suggesting that he might like to go with my sister and I to CT for my cousin's wedding. I tried to email him, but he had to run on an errand so I couldn't get ahold of him.
    I tried every phone number I had for him, but got no answer until I was almost home...I finally got someone at his house, who said he was gone and she didn't know when he'd be back. I knew I needed to leave for CT within the hour, so figured he wouldn't be able to come.

I pulled into my driveway to see him, sitting in the bed of his truck, parked at our house. He got out, got down on one knee, and asked me to be his wife
    I said yes, put on my gorgeous ring, and asked if he wanted to come with us to CT. He said sure, so he borrowed clothes from my brother (shoes 2 or 3 sizes too small! Is that love or what? ) and came with us!

Chatty Chick Hanging with the Chicks! nikkiARNGwife's Avatar
    We had been dating for just over a year and he came to my apartment one day to tell me that he was being transferred to another unit in North Mississippi. He totally played it up like it was no big deal and that we'd just do the long distance thing for a while. I was crushed and convinced that he wasn't thinking long-term for our relationship. A couple of weeks later we took a trip to Gulf Shores Alabama and he proposed on the beach at sunset. He held up the ring and said..."you didn't really think I'd move away without you"....he used to be really romantic lol! j/k...he still is sometimes

Rock STAR! Hanging with the Chicks! AndreaBurns's Avatar
    Nate was recreating a lot of our "firsts" about a year about we had started dating, so I figured something was up. One Friday night he took me to Fatz Cafe (our first date place) and we had dinner. Then we went over to Broken Bridges (a broken bridge that people hang out on.... LOL!) This was where we had shared our first I Love You's.

That night we were reminiscing a bit, and he pulled the ring out and placed it on my finger. He said "I'm so glad you're going to be my wife."

And that was it!!!!! I laugh and joke to this day, that he never really proposed.. and he jokes back that he knew it was a sure thing, HAHAHAH!

The moon was so HUGE and big that night over the water too... just perfect!

Thanks for the advice but what I really need are minions Hanging with the Chicks! amanda heimann's Avatar
    Long story ahead.

It was Thanksgiving 2007 (a year after we has been dating) and I had Thanksgiving at my house. We were still in college and it was the weekend of the big Texas A&M and Texas game so all the family was in town for the weekend.

I was cleaning up afterwards and saw Billy in the front yard with my parents and brothers and thought it was odd. Didn't think much more of it.

Fast forward a week. I was working at Bath and Body Works at the time. It was the holiday rush so I did not get off of work until close to midnight. Billy told me to come to his house and pick him up when I got off of work. I tried to get out of it because it was like 20 degrees outside and I was tired. He insisted. Something about how it was easier for him to get to work from my house (it was) and he had to go to work really early. So he drove us to my house. But he went through campus instead of around it. And he stopped in the middle. He made me get out of the car and told me he needed to show me something. I had an idea at this time what was going on.

He took me to the Century Tree. We sat on the very cold bench and he got down on one knee and proposed. The tradition at A&M is that you never walk under the Century Tree unless you are with the one you will marry and if you propose under the tree the marriage will last forever. This was his first time in 4 years to walk under that tree. I don't remember what he said (it was 20 degrees) but I will never forget the walk under the tree.

So I then asked him if this is what he was talking about with my family. Turns out that he not only had to ask my parents for my hand in marriage but my 3 little brothers also had to give permission. LOL!

Bird is the word dude! Hanging with the Chicks! KimberlyGiarrusso's Avatar
    It was getting freakishly close to Christmas and I still didn't have a Christmas Tree up. I was pretty sad about since I am such a big nut when it comes to my tree.

Well I came home from work one night, really tired and when I walked in, there was a Christmas Tree in my livingroom fully decorated. I turned the corner and Richard was on my couch. I ran over and hugged him and thanked him. He told me that he put a special ornament on the tree just for me. When I found it, I was a sobbing mess. Hanging from a limb was a gorgeous diamond ring just for me. I turned around and he was down on his knee already. The rest, well is history.
    Kimberly Giarrusso

I create for Ready-Set-Create! Magazine

My hubby proposed over breakfast in bed on our first-date anniversary. Pretty simple, but it worked for me!
    It was our 4th anniversary. Dh never does anything fast. lol

It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you. Hanging with the Chicks! YvetteSanders's Avatar
    Dh and I were living together - sort of - he was working 6 hours away in another city and coming home every other weekend. I was getting ready to go to work one Saturday morning when he showed up at home out of the blue with a big bouquet of lilies and a beautiful diamond ring! I was the most surprised I have ever been in my entire life!

DH didn't propose to me, we did it the other way around. We'd been together about a year and a half, and knew each other almost 2 years. I had a strange feeling he was pinching pennies and saving for a ring. I worked at an outlet mall and went down on my lunch one day to the jewelry store and bought our bands. I took them home that night, kept them in my purse, and he didn't have a clue. I made sure my purse was beside the bed that night. After he was good and dazed after, (well, you know what people do in their bedrooms at night LOL), I said "I got you a present today." And gave him his band. Neither one of us could really find any words after that, and we fell asleep. I had to go to work early the next day, but he called me once I was home and he was still at work that he had the perfect spot for our honeymoon LOL. He's a man of few words, but large gestures like that.

aw such great stories, i don't really have a story, we were in the bedroom doing "things" and then he asked me...lol.
    Ct for:

Always

Digi Chick STAR! Hanging with the Chicks! Deena's Avatar
    Well my hubby totally surprised me and that was no easy task! I knew we were going to get engaged before we did, WAY before we did LOL. We had looked at wedding sets, and engagement rings a few times. He went to boot camp, and I totally missed him the entire time he was gone It sucked... When he got back we were sitting and talking one day, I managed to get out of him that he had already bought the ring!! WHAT! LOL... BEFORE he left for boot camp! Crazy man!

BUT he did not propose then, and still waited for 3 months to do it!! We had spent the entire weekend together basically, Halloween parade that friday night, took our kids to that (where i now i know he had told people when he was going to pop the question)... Saturday we were together with the kids doing stuff, and then sunday we had church, and our ritual then was to watch the Ram's game before our small group... During all of this i had NO idea what he had planned. We goto our small group that evening, and everything that normally happens did... Then all of a sudden at the end our leader at the time, says oh and Brett has something to tell everyone... I am all like what is going on, and then he got down on one knee and blabbered some stuff and popped the question... I of course said yes!!! EVERYONE In the room knew he was going to ask that day!! Except me, I had no clue LOL. Then later I got like 4 phone calls, because he had told everyone I was friends with at church LOL.... I felt a little dooped!
    Deena
    Currently on hiatus from creative teams
    because well, college is a mojo stealer!

Funky Chickster Hanging with the Chicks! TraceyLee's Avatar
    mike had been pumping me for information for weeks. he had already proposed once (as a joke, i thought), and i had turned him down, telling him that i love him, but i'm not going to be proposed to while laying on his mother's couch watching tv, lol. he would ask me what *i* wanted after that. i told him that i wanted to be surprised, that i didn't care how much the ring cost or how big the diamond was, that my favorite diamond cut was the marquis cut, that i didn't want a big flashy ring, etc. i knew that the proposal was coming, but we had also talked about waiting until we were 25 or so before even getting serious about it, because we both wanted children early on in the marriage, etc. (i was 21 at the time, dh was 20.)

the day that mike proposed, i had to work. i was a cashier at walmart, and mike's mom and brother came through my line and started talking to me. i had already seen the three of them at the jewelry counter, but didn't think anything of it until mil and bil came over to talk to me. they were sent, by mike, to distract me, lol. i knew that he was at least looking at the rings, but didn't know that he had actually bought one.

after work, we went out. we went to mcdonald's for dinner (i'm a cheap date, lol), then we went to see The Blair Witch Project (summer 99, this was the big scary movie and mike insisted that i just had to see it. that was the one and only time that i've ever seen the movie, even though we own it for sentimental reasons). afterwards, we went to a favorite hang out that the locals call The Pond. the pond is a large fishing pond, with docks, picnic tables, a cement path leading around the pond, and no lights. there's trees all over, and normally, i love going there, no matter what time of day it is. that night, however, i asked mike if we could possibly go somewhere with lights and people, because the movie freaked me out. he said that we wouldn't be there long, and that it would be worth it.

we got out of the car, and went to walk around. we get up to where the trees start to close in on the path, and i stop and tell him that i can't go any farther, it's just too creepy. so we turn around and walk to the large dock and sit there on a bench and talk. i know that something is up, because he's acting all nervous and jittery, like he did when he first asked me out in high school. finally, he gets down on one knee, and says 'i had this big speech all planned out, but to hell with it. will you marry me?'
    ~*~tracey~*~