The DigiChick

Question Regarding Die Cut machines...

Okay so when I left home(South Africa) I had to leave all my punches etc. behind and slowly but surely I am building up my physical scrap supplies...now I have been holding out for the New Making Memories slice BUT I am starting to wonder if I should not rather settle for the Sizzix Big Shot or the Provocraft Cuttlebug instead...WDYT or rather suggest?

[MKC Newsletter] [MKC TOU]

[The Cutting Files]
    - Revolutionary NEW Way to use your Digital Die-Cutter

Happy to create for
    [THE HYBRID CHICK] [THE HYBRID KID]

Hanging with the Chicks!
    Do you want an actual physical die cutter? Personally, I like the computerized cutters (Slice, Cricut, Wishblade/Robocraft/Silhouette) because of the size flexibility- that is, the ability to cut an image almost any size I want.

I LOVE my Silhouette- it doesn't have a large footprint, and I can hook it into my laptop to cut gsd files (there's a decent amount of free stuff out there), plus anything I can buy off of the Quickutz site.

I borrow my friend's Cricut every once and a while because I like some of the cartridges (Disney, Hello Kitty, and the Boxes one). I don't have one because I can see me losing cartridges, but it's fun to borrow
    I *AM* the Geeky Diva!
    My Poor Neglected Blog

I'm an old paper scrapper. Still do some hybrid for gifts.

I have lots and lots of Quickutz dies, using the original QK tool (okay, I upgraded from the old blue to black when they redid them). I love my QK.

That being said, I'd probably get the QK Silhouette.

Rachel

PS. You don't want to know much money is invested in those QK dies...heck, *I* don't want to know.

I have the cricut and the sizzix and love it......and it is easy enough to use that my girls often use it for their school projects. I look for deals on QVC or HSN because Michael's and Joann's aren't letting you use coupons (or at least in my area) like they used to. But I won't lie I have been eyeing the Slice you are talking about......
    ~ Darla ~

♥ Also Creating for ♥ SSD

Hey Mari! I have a Cricut and I recently just upgraded from a Cuttlebug to a Big Shot. To be honest, I do love what the cricut can do, but I RARELY use it and if I had it all to do again I doubt I would spend the money on it. I loved my Cuttlebug and it worked REALLY well with my embossing folders, sizzix dies, spellbinders nestabilities dies, etc. I mostly moved up to the big shot because I wanted to be able to use the Big Shot dies. I use my Big Shot ALL THE TIME. We can chat if you have questions.
    Jen
    Check out my Blog!

Thank you guys for the suggestions there are a few things that had me starting to think hey maybe not the slice because the Big Shot and the Cuttlebug both apparently can cut through felt and cardboard. Now just imagine the creative possibilities with that...especially with the adorable onesies and stuff you can make with your digi supplies add a beautiful flower or similar from felt to blanket stitch on it can just be adorable!!! He he! Plus I dont want to go to expensive but I also do understand that the dies are very expensive to get a good variety...and you do have a fixed size which is unfortunate but you can cut through more variety of material's.

[The Cutting Files]

Happy to create for

Quote Originally Posted by MariKoegelenberg View Post
    Thank you guys for the suggestions there are a few things that had me starting to think hey maybe not the slice because the Big Shot and the Cuttlebug both apparently can cut through felt and cardboard. Now just imagine the creative possibilities with that...especially with the adorable onesies and stuff you can make with your digi supplies add a beautiful flower or similar from felt to blanket stitch on it can just be adorable!!! He he! Plus I dont want to go to expensive but I also do understand that the dies are very expensive to get a good variety...and you do have a fixed size which is unfortunate but you can cut through more variety of material's.
    You're absolutely right Mari!!! I've even seen some pretty amazing stuff where people have used their Big Shot to cut through coke cans and made some really cool looking layered flowers and the inside of a coke can!!! I often struggle with my cricut - finding just the right settings (between speed and depth) for different thicknesses of paper, especially thicker cardstock. By the time I finally get it right, I've often wasted half of my favorite sheet of paper I've been hoarding forever!!! (and I know the manual has suggestions for settings, but it always seems like I have to mess with it a lot to get it just right). Everytime I use the thing I end up getting frustrated and it just takes FOREVER, so I don't do it. My Big Shot is just way faster. I also often run my paper through my sticker maker thing so it has adhesive on the back before I cut my die (in the cricut, this often means I have to mess with the settings again and usually just makes it too thick to cut) - not a problem with the big shot!
    Jen
    Check out my Blog!

lol Jen I need to send my daughter to you - she is our cricut expert. I have a big shot too and use it for my other dies. Kim will tell you I have a regular scrapbook store in my home.....kind of funny for a girl who primarily scraps digitally!
    ~ Darla ~

♥ Also Creating for ♥ SSD

I'm in the same boat. Except I paper scrapped for over 6 years, so it's understandable that I have an entire room for scrapbook supplies, even though I'm 95% digital.

Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by d2vasquez View Post
    I have a regular scrapbook store in my home.....kind of funny for a girl who primarily scraps digitally!

Oh, my gosh. You guys should see my scrapbooking room! And, I hardly ever go in there . . .
    Kelleigh
    My store at The Digichick

Lol!!! Well at least I am not that bad yet...I only have about 2 racks in the closet filled with my stuff but already it is getting too much for me!!! he he!

[The Cutting Files]

Happy to create for

I can't part with all that paper stuff eventhough much of it I probably won't use again. I am using some of it for hybrid fun and the girls stuff so I am still glad that it is taking up my dining room table and a big closet just for that stuff (i think)
    I love creating for:

Hanging with the Chicks! jjstar's Avatar
    I have the cricut expression and love it. I use it for so much more than just scrapbooking too. I've cut quite a few things from vinyl for the walls around the house, my truck & some personalized placemats. I love that you can cut it any size that you need and the cartridges have so many different features. I don't seem to have a problem with the speed/pressure because I usually just leave on 5/5 and go with it. The major reason I upgraded to the bigger machine is that it has a multicut option so you can cut through thicker things. Good luck deciding Mari!
    Jill Jarvis...check out my blog

>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<

I have the Cuttlebug and I love it. My only thing is that the width is not that wide. Which is fine since the dies are not that wide but then I have to always cut my paper before the paper goes through the machine. Maybe I'm lazy With it I can use all sorts of dies and there's this sheet that you can download for the sandwiching recipe so that you can use different brand dies. I use the CB for the CB embossing templates. I LOVE these things!!

I don't like machines with cartridges so I went for the Klik-n-Kut for my cutting machine. The CB cuts but the KnK gives me more flexibility. You can go to paperthreads.com and check them out. The Pazzle is it's competitor. I chose the KnK because I can cut any shape. For example if I like a digital flower, I can import that jpg into my KnK software and then my machine will die cut it. Or, I can just print and manually cut it... So basically I can download images/templates and if I'm lazy just have my machine cut for me. It's awesome. The KnK has a higher pressure too so that's why I went with it. Just keep in mind that there's a high price tag up front, but you don't have to buy any cartridges. I've cut a few from things that I've downloaded... free or purchased and have made my own.

The funny thing is.... I rarely use my die cut machines. I love them but I get lazy pulling them out and using them. I think it's mostly because I don't have a scrap room so everything is kind of piled on top of each other. Our basement/scrap room is almost done and then I'll have a dedicated place for each machine where I don't have to haul and rearrange anything. I think I'll use it more then. When I do use the machines I really have a great time. They really are fun. I am planning on buying some Stampin' Up! Big Shot dies to use with my Cuttlebug.

Some samples w/ my KnK:
    The tree I made
    The paw and alphas
    More alphas and the swirly thing
    Savitri
    My scrap and stamp blog: http://www.scrapbit.com
    Video tuts, paper and digi anything, and rubber stamping

OMG That is really amazing...I love the fact that you can import your own templates...wowsers the creative possibilities just seem endless!

[The Cutting Files]

Happy to create for

I'm askig for a Big Shot for Christmas this year. I see all the different dies out there now and I am dreaming that some day I'm going to use up all this scrapbook paper and embellishments making stuff - question is, what am I going to do with what I make? LOL! At least I'll have an amazing gallery - right???

I'd love any suggestions on dies you use all the time and some advice on how the nestabilities and Spellbinders actually work in the Big Shot. I have my eye on some scalloped circles I just "have" to have.

Hanging with the Chicks! Phoenix's Avatar
    gawd! Im having a hard time understanding what you guys are talking about. I do understand its a cutting machine tho lmao! I guess im gonna have to go search it up

hehe

Hugs
    Melissa
    Stay @ Home Mum to Shania (14) & Jordan (10)

:: My Store :: My Blog ::

Hanging with the Chicks! Phoenix's Avatar
    Ok I did a search on the Big Shot and now i know. So thats what i was playing with in the shop last week... hehe. Didnt even know.
    Stay @ Home Mum to Shania (14) & Jordan (10)

:: My Store :: My Blog ::