The DigiChick

Chatty Super Star Hanging with the Chicks! annscraps's Avatar

Photographing your projects

Anybody have any tips to get a good photo of your hybrid projects? My stuff looks MUCH better in person...I'm not much of a photographer

happy to be a chick Hanging with the Chicks! MariKoegelenberg's Avatar
    Please I want to know too!!! he he!

[MKC Newsletter] [MKC TOU]

[The Cutting Files]
    - Revolutionary NEW Way to use your Digital Die-Cutter

Happy to create for
    [THE HYBRID CHICK] [THE HYBRID KID]

Good natural light near a window... prop the item up with something. make sure there isn't anything else in the background that you don't want...

try not to use the flash if you can help it... I have been busted up on my bench trying to not block the light but get a good photo of a piece...

fill the frame with your piece as much as you can and try it on a standard full auto without flash setting and then perhaps on a macro setting again no flash...

just a few things I do...
    Cheryl

Proudly scrapping for
    Lynne-Marie, creashens and Roadside Designs, Siamese Studio
    Proudly published in
    Up2Scrap and Somerset Digital Studio, Ready, Set, Create

Little Miss Template Maker Hanging with the Chicks! kelleighr's Avatar
    Yep! I do the same, but I put it on a solid colored background, then edit my photo. Play with curves, increase saturation, unsharp mask, etc.

But, I'm often very unsatisfied with my photos. I can't get them to stay in focus!!
    Kelleigh
    My store at The Digichick

Paper Chick Hanging with the Chicks! JenTapler's Avatar
    I'm the same Kelleigh with the focus!! I set up a very lame "photo studio" using 3 pieces of white shelving....one for the "floor", one for the background, and one for the side that is sort of angled away from my light source. I set it up in the late afternoon right next to the window and NEVER use a flash. I often have to play with the saturation, levels, etc to get something that looks right. I usually add an orange photo filter too, decreasing the intensity of that to about 12%. We need to get Nicole to post her tips in here....she has some REALLY good step-by-step tips (that's where I got most of my ideas)....

Nicole??? paging Nicole Seitler.....
    Jen
    Check out my Blog!

Queen of cramming 30hrs into a 24hr day Hanging with the Chicks! wildblueeyez's Avatar
    I'm so glad someone asked this because my photos of my projects really stink too! LOL....

Ultimate Super Star Hanging with the Chicks! nicoleseitler's Avatar
    Haha! I heard you call, Jen! Let me dig up that super-spiffy post...

It's mostly about Actions, but I start off talking about tweaks you can make yourself: http://www.craftcritique.com/2008/03...photoshop.html

I would say good lighting and a pleasant background are key! When I made cards, I used to prop them up next to a stack of books and take a snapshot of it under the end table lamp. Then I'd tweak the colors to get rid of the yellow. This was with a crappy point and shoot and PSP:

Hope that helps!
    sugarplum: facebook :: blog :: twitter
    just me: my bloggity blog :: pinterest

happily creating for: krystal hartley :: studio flergs

I love these tips ! Thank you !
    Im thinkg to do a macro studio to try some better photos ... Anyone try that ?

Chatty Chick Hanging with the Chicks! putri's Avatar
    I try to do natural light as much as I can. I have huge windows at home and so I just plop my work on my dining table facing the window and shoot. This gives me even lighting. If I have to submit and it's late, I use two lights, one on the left and right. I also shoot in RAW and edit in Photoshop (CS3 is what I have) and adjust the temp. and all that jazz.

You can check my blog for some of my pics and also in my digi tut there is a RAW editing tutorial too.
    Savitri
    My scrap and stamp blog: http://www.scrapbit.com
    Video tuts, paper and digi anything, and rubber stamping

Rock STAR! Hanging with the Chicks! AndreaBurns's Avatar
    OK!

Natural Light near a window is a GREAT start.

You could get a rectangle of white or black fleece and kind of drape it up like a background.

Set your camera's aperture to 3.5 or so, and make sure your project is a good foot or 18 inches from the backdrop. Make sure your image is properly exposed, maybe even overexposed by 1 stop.

In photoshop you can adjust levels or curves (for curves, pull it in a slight "S" shape). You can even dodge the background a little lighter or burn darker.

Do an UnShapMask to sharpen it.

HTH!

i *heart* hybrid! Hanging with the Chicks! jjstar's Avatar
    Outside of the photography points, I also like it when people include other things in the shot that go with the theme. Like plastic easter eggs next to an spring card, etc.
    Jill Jarvis...check out my blog

>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<