Colourising black and white photos in PSE3

I have a black and white photo of my dd wearing a santa hat. I want to colour the hat red but still keep the texture of the hat. If I select the area and use the paint bucket to drop the colour I lose the texture and if I go to "replace colour" in the "enhance" menu I cant change it because all I get is grey. Dose that make sense? Anyway, can anyone help me?
    ~Suzy~
    (aka olivia_abi)

My BLOG

Okay, here's what I did. I used the magnetic lasso to select my area. Then I went to Image>Mode>RGB. After I did that, I went to Layer>New Fill Layer>Solid Color then used the color picker to choose my color. Once I was done with that, I lowered the opacity to about 40% et voila! I hope that's the effect you're looking for. :regular_s

what i do is have 2 versions of your photograph in the file. One in color and one in b&w. Place the b&w on top and erase the part that you want the color to come through. You will still have the color and the texture from the bottom (color) photo. HTH!!!

Unfortunately I only have the black and white photo or I would have done what Laura has suggested. I tried what Jen suggested as well, but the hat is too dark and when I lower the opacity the colour virtually disappears in the background. I think I will just have to try and take more photos tomorrow - the only problem is that it was so hard to get the ones I got - LOL!!! This will teach me to check the setting before I take important photos like this (christmas card photos) in the future - LOL!!!

Thanks for your suggestions.
    ~Suzy~
    (aka olivia_abi)

My BLOG

Try this and see if it works. Choose the color of red that you want the hat to be and then select your paintbrush. Change the mode of the brush (on the top options section) to "color." Then paint over the hat. I've never done this in this particular situation but it's what I did to get the colors on the background photo in this LO:

http://www.thedigichick.com/gallery/...500/ppuser/727

By using color mode it keeps all the shadows and highlights but changes what ever you paint over to the color you have selected. Does this make sense? Some of the other modes might work well too. Try multiply or overlay. It just gives different effects with the color. Just experiment and see whis one works best. If you need more help let me know!
    Last edited by travelgirlut; 10-28-2005 at 11:37 AM.

I have Photoshop CS2 so I am not sure if PSE3 has the layer styles but this is what I did the this picture. http://www.thedigichick.com/gallery/...500/ppuser/337
    I selected the area that I wanted to color with the lasso tool and filled it with the color and change the layer style to color.

Thanks - I will try those last 2 as soon as I get a chance.
    ~Suzy~
    (aka olivia_abi)

My BLOG