The DigiChick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nervous Newbie...

Hi everyone! I'm Bek, new to this hybrid gig. My awesome DH fixed my printer and I finally tried a hybrid project (not finished yet.) It is Kelleigh's little purse she included in the MSA NSD kit, but I have a question...

How do you secure the flap on the purse? I'm thinking glue is not a good option Velcro? ROFL...seriously...what do you do to keep the cute little thing closed??

Also, I'm dying to get the fancy card box with envelope, but want to know how to do the cards for it before I buy it. I don't want to get it then be clueless. Is there a guide for how to print cards for it? Or what? I don't want to make them by hand I want to do it digitally and print them out.

If anyone can help me out it would be great!! I love all the things I've seen in the gallery, and Kelleigh just ROCKS the templates!
    God bless! Love Bek

Hey Bek! Welcome!

I did a little hybrid card tutorial on the Hybrid Chick blog over NSD weekend. You can find it here. It should guide you through the process.

Oh, and if you do decide to make some cards for that little card box, be sure to check out the Special NSD/May Workshop that's all about cards. It's a card swap, so if you design at least one card (digital or hybrid ready-to-print), you will receive a copy of all of the cards from the card swap for the month! Super fun! You can find more about that here.

I didn't want to be left out, so here I am. Thanks, Pamie!

Thank you! This gives me some ideas

Now for figuring out how to close that little purse...
    God bless! Love Bek

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? Hanging with the Chicks! skyezak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by opeysmama View Post
    Thank you! This gives me some ideas

Now for figuring out how to close that little purse...
    Glad you're jumping in and playing with Kelleigh's goodies as they are amazing! Go and check out my hybrid challenge (see my post in the first thread with a picture of my purse) for this fortnight as I made up one of her purses but didn't stick it shut. I just pop the flap in behind my elements (flowers and leaves) that are stuck on with 3D foam tape and it shuts perfectly. That's one idea for you anyways
    Creating for Gypsy Couture @ The Digichick

Scrapping Goddess Hanging with the Chicks! gonewiththewind's Avatar
    So cool to have you here doing hybrid goodies! Welcome and can't wait to see that little purse (once you get it closed anyway).

Hey thanks so much for pointing me to that tip Sharon!! And hi ya Cheryl!! So happy to see you here, love to see someone I know!! HUGS!!
    God bless! Love Bek

hey there bek! i'm impressed you're doing the hybrid thing i don't have a color printer - so i don't venture there heehee ... can't wait to see your goodies, though ! i'm sure with kelliegh's templates you are going to be a rock star!
    dana
    creating for:
    the lilypad / sweet shoppe designs / one little bird / sahlin studio

Dana you are a sweetie! Thank you. I'm working on it now. Its so flat looking. I notice the real pros do a lot of fancy stuff like inking edges, well I've got none of that kind of stuff, so mine won't be rock star quality ROFL...but I guess maybe I can be a rock star in training
    God bless! Love Bek

Here, there and everywhere!! Digital Creative Chick chloe's Avatar
    Welcome Bek! I don't do hybrid much either, at least nothing as elaborate as you, but I've already seen some hybrid diva using magnets to close boxes or hybrid containers, maybe that could be an option for you too!

Bek, another tip that I got from Mari is to print out duplicates of my elements and layer them. On my NSD card (the THANKS card at the bottom of this post), I layered two butterflies. The first one I attached just in the regular way. The second one I bent a bit to give it some dimension and attached it just over the first one.

I didn't want to be left out, so here I am. Thanks, Pamie!

coffee, photography, and cute kids. who could ask for more? Administrator Charla's Avatar
    Hi Bek I know you too!
    I struggled with how to secure the purse, too, because I had to find something around the house. If I could have gotten out, I wanted to get some velcro
    My card box is pretty basic, but I love how it came out:

It really does look cool once you put it all together, even if it seems a little flat when you first print it out.
    (But ditto what Sinead said; there are ways to make it "pop" a little without having to go out and buy flowers, etc )

Just call me a Ditzy Chick Hanging with the Chicks! ShabbyShaz's Avatar
    Oh it looks wonderful. Lovely colour and the cards look stunning.. envelopes too. How did you work out to make them? Was it a template.

Welcome to the 'bright side'! You do hybrid very well.
    Sharyn

coffee, photography, and cute kids. who could ask for more? Administrator Charla's Avatar
    Thanks I'm learning...and having a BLAST doing it!!!
    Yes, the envelopes are in the template with the card box And the cards are all from templates too (I tend to get stuck trying to scrap without a photo to focus around) The picture should be linked to my gallery post, with credits there :good;

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? Hanging with the Chicks! skyezak's Avatar
    Another way to close a purse or a box would be to sew a loop of string or ribbon onto the flap and when you shut the purse, you could hook it over a button maybe. Or those closures that are on manilla files where you have two circles that you wrap the string around and around (don't know what you call it)! I just think that velcro would rip off unless you were gentle each time you opened the box. Magnets would work better I'd say. For my sample in this weeks hybrid challenge, I decided to tie a big bow around it then give it to Mum so that also held it all shut.
    Creating for Gypsy Couture @ The Digichick

button & double the paper & make a button hole with the sewing machine & use frey check ( at most if not all fabric stores) and slit the hole opener... Just a idea

Quote Originally Posted by chloe View Post
    Welcome Bek! I don't do hybrid much either, at least nothing as elaborate as you, but I've already seen some hybrid diva using magnets to close boxes or hybrid containers, maybe that could be an option for you too!
    Funny you said this, because I just saw someone saying they used those magnets (can't remember who now because I was browsing the gallery here for so long, lol). I have much to learn about products!!
    God bless! Love Bek

Quote Originally Posted by sinead View Post
    Bek, another tip that I got from Mari is to print out duplicates of my elements and layer them. On my NSD card (the THANKS card at the bottom of this post), I layered two butterflies. The first one I attached just in the regular way. The second one I bent a bit to give it some dimension and attached it just over the first one.
    I actually saw your card over the weekend! I printed out some flowers and leaves from the matching kit (MSA NSD kit freebie) and bent them up a tad and attached them to the front.

I've used several ideas from you ladies here. Thank you all so much!! I used the idea of just tucking the flap under the flower elements as a closure, I used the idea of bending up the printed/cut out elements to add dimention, too. So I took some pictures and I can't wait to post it and let you all see my first ever hybrid project!
    God bless! Love Bek

Quote Originally Posted by sunnie2004 View Post
    button & double the paper & make a button hole with the sewing machine & use frey check ( at most if not all fabric stores) and slit the hole opener... Just a idea
    Ok this just scares me! I totally THANK you for this idea, because I'm sure its easier than I'm thinking it is. I'd love to see an example of this, maybe some day I'll work up to this technique!!
    God bless! Love Bek

Quote Originally Posted by Charla View Post
    Hi Bek I know you too!
    I struggled with how to secure the purse, too, because I had to find something around the house. If I could have gotten out, I wanted to get some velcro
    My card box is pretty basic, but I love how it came out:

It really does look cool once you put it all together, even if it seems a little flat when you first print it out.
    (But ditto what Sinead said; there are ways to make it "pop" a little without having to go out and buy flowers, etc )
    Hello! I saw this in your gallery as I was browsing the hybrid gallery this weekend. Love it! I can't wait to try some more stuff!! Beautiful work!!
    God bless! Love Bek

Little Chickie Hanging with the Chicks! cindyg's Avatar
    Hey Bek! About the purse, I've used velcro dots or flat magnets for things like that - you could also make some sort of closure like a piece of elastic, ribbon or cord attached to the purse to go around a button on the flap - or punch holes in the flap and purse using ribbon to tie it shut, etc....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast