The DigiChick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lover of all things furry and four-legged. Hanging with the Chicks! donnawells's Avatar

Names Part II.......weird names

The most recent entries in the other name thread got me wondering....have you ever known someone who had a really strange name that made you wonder to yourself "What were their parents THINKING?" Well, I've got two.

Back in the 80s, I went to barber school. There was another student there whose name was Natcherly Panting. The rest of us were horrified when we found out that was her name! Who would name their kid that!? So another student said privately, "Maybe we could call her Nat." Well, she gave that a whirl and Natcherly told us that her nickname was just Natch. So, since we all thought that sounded too close to the nasty word with an S at the front we'll just stick with Natcherly.

The other one was a strange (and annoying) couple that my ex-husband was friend's with. The husband wanted to name all their kids so that they would have HIS initials, J.D., but the wife wanted their daughter to be named Chelsea because she really liked that name. SOOOO, the husband's solution "Just stick a J at the beginning!" So, her name is Jchelsea. It's still pronounced Chelsea, though. Smart huh?

So, do you know anyone with a strange name?

Those are pretty out there!

My great-grandfather was Lester Melvin. He went by "Bud." I don't blame him

This isn't a name so much as a road, but near us there's a street called "Rapin Place." We always when we see it. But when DH was working in the back yard a couple weeks ago, he noticed a headstone in the cemetery behind our house: Rapin. So we're guessing the street was named for the guy.
    Isn't that horrible? And it's in a really bad part of town, so you wonder how many times the street's name has been horribly accurate

Lover of all things furry and four-legged. Hanging with the Chicks! donnawells's Avatar
    Scary! Or I wonder if it became a bad part of town BECAUSE of that name!!!

Don't Worry, Be Happy, & Scrap! Hanging with the Chicks! shawnbear's Avatar
    My name is La'Shawn and I always get comments on it being different. But I dont think it is too strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Charla View Post
    This isn't a name so much as a road, but near us there's a street called "Rapin Place." We always when we see it. But when DH was working in the back yard a couple weeks ago, he noticed a headstone in the cemetery behind our house: Rapin. So we're guessing the street was named for the guy.

My best friend grew up on Rape Drive. Way out in the spooky boonies. Ugh.

I work as a dispatch for a trucking company. I have come across so pretty funky names.
    Moon Light and a guy with a perfectly normal name who changed it to Ynot Bubba b/c he didnt like his family.
    yeah, names like that. lol

Honey, tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic Hanging with the Chicks! Danyale's Avatar
    I have a couple....

My girlfriend, we call Christy. She was born on Christmas Eve...guess her name. Christmas Eve (insert last name)!!! WUT?!?! Craziness for real.

I had a patient who named her son...Muhommad Nosmoking (pronounced Noz mo king) .....wait for it......

No Smoking

I had to actually record that into the birth records...... with a straight face.

Those are all CRAZY!!! Ynot Bubba, Muhommad Nosmoking!? What the heck?

Don't Worry, Be Happy, & Scrap! Hanging with the Chicks! shawnbear's Avatar
    I probably should have put that Ynot Bubba is pronounced like your asking a question. Why not Bubba? That is how the man told me to say it. lol

And what the heck?!? Muhommad Nosmoking!! Someone was anti smoking right there.
    Last edited by shawnbear; 05-06-2011 at 05:09 PM.

I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcam, and Jersey. Hanging with the Chicks! Pamie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnbear View Post
    I probably should have put that Ynot Bubba is pronounced like your asking a question. Why not Bubba? That is how the man told me to say it. lol
    Well, why not???

Ultimate Super Star Hanging with the Chicks! nicoleseitler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Charla View Post
    But when DH was working in the back yard a couple weeks ago, he noticed a headstone in the cemetery behind our house: Rapin.
    On our second date, Travis drove by a cemetery so that he could show me a tombstone. The decedent's last name: Bye.

I don't know anyone with a name as strange as Jchelsea. Poor, poor girl. I would legally change my name!
    sugarplum: facebook :: blog :: twitter
    just me: my bloggity blog :: pinterest

happily creating for: krystal hartley :: studio flergs

I KNOW! Stupid parents. Of course, she has grown up with it so it seems perfectly normal to her. In my head I was always saying "Je-chelsea."

People say "It's the thought that counts, not the gift", but couldn't people think a little bigger? Hanging with the Chicks! jacinda's Avatar
    Although our family names don't sound strange to us, they were obviously not common in our childhood years, and people always commented. From oldest to youngest it goes:

Yvette
    Jacinda
    Regan
    Andre
    Janferay
    Rojene

I've got a friend who named her kids all kinds of weird names, like Fantasia, Sebastian and I can't remember the rest (we lost contact years ago).

At school there were kids with names like Judge, Milo (that's a hot chocolate drink here in NZ) and one kid was called Mangere Bus-stop. Mangere is a suburb. Two guesses where this kid was born!

What the heck? Bus-stop!? Poor kid!!!

And those are some unusual names, Jacinda! Your parents were very creative. They're not embarrassingly weird though like some of these others. They're just interesting.

My mom used to have a job where she traveled around to country schools to evaluate teachers, so she also became familiar with some of the students at those schools. One boy's name was Catnip.

Spite: a perfectly acceptable reason to return a jacket *OR* refuse to change your avatar photo... Hanging with the Chicks! wishingwellcreations's Avatar
    OK, this name itself isn't weird at all... but the fact that his parents named him this, well... IS weird:
    The guy who lived across the street from me when I was growing up was named Phillip Phillips. ("Why, God?! Why?!") That one still cracks me up to this day... because, well, "if you like the name Phillip so much... um... you ALREADY HAVE IT!! and now you get to pick another one you like, too!" Egad. haha
    ~ Laura ~
    BLOG | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | NEWSLETTER | MY GALLERY

~ happily creating for Sugarplum Paperie, Mari Koegelenberg, and Dawn by Design ~

Honey, tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic Hanging with the Chicks! Danyale's Avatar
    There is a race car driver named **** Trickle....seriously? I wonder why his momma hated him?

Oh...and the girl marrying the heir to Ralph Lauren...the oldest son? Her name is Lauren...she will be Lauren Lauren...for realdo.

That is pretty stupid. Either they weren't very creative or they thought they were being REALLY creative!

Quote Originally Posted by wishingwellcreations View Post
    OK, this name itself isn't weird at all... but the fact that his parents named him this, well... IS weird:
    The guy who lived across the street from me when I was growing up was named Phillip Phillips. ("Why, God?! Why?!") That one still cracks me up to this day... because, well, "if you like the name Phillip so much... um... you ALREADY HAVE IT!! and now you get to pick another one you like, too!" Egad. haha

Spite: a perfectly acceptable reason to return a jacket *OR* refuse to change your avatar photo... Hanging with the Chicks! wishingwellcreations's Avatar
    OMG, wait -- I just thought of another one. I didn't know this person, myself, but one of my best friends worked as an HR manager in a manufacturing facility a few years back, and one of the employees there was named Shitonya. No joke. I couldn't BELIEVE that someone's parents named them that. And yes, it was pronounced just like you think it might be.
    ~ Laura ~

~ happily creating for Sugarplum Paperie, Mari Koegelenberg, and Dawn by Design ~

My client, Teresa Collins, has a daughter named Taylor and she married a guy named Spencer Taylor!!! So she is Taylor Taylor.

THAT'S TERRIBLE!!! The parents should be arrested. Ha

Quote Originally Posted by wishingwellcreations View Post
    OMG, wait -- I just thought of another one. I didn't know this person, myself, but one of my best friends worked as an HR manager in a manufacturing facility a few years back, and one of the employees there was named Shitonya. No joke. I couldn't BELIEVE that someone's parents named them that. And yes, it was pronounced just like you think it might be.

Quote Originally Posted by gette3 View Post
    I wonder why his momma hated him?
    hahahahaha LOL

Quote Originally Posted by gette3 View Post
    Oh...and the girl marrying the heir to Ralph Lauren...the oldest son? Her name is Lauren...she will be Lauren Lauren...for realdo.
    This reminds me of the movie "The Wedding Singer," when Drew Barrymore's character realizes that her new married name is going to be Julia Gulia. hahahaha LOL
    ~ Laura ~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast