The DigiChick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chatty Chick Hanging with the Chicks! aggietha's Avatar

How to Type text around a Custom Shape (e.g Circle, etc)

I would want to insert text around the circle of this post of mine:
    http://www.thedigichick.com/gallery/...00/ppuser/4196

and I was going through a tutorial that said to use the "PEN" tool, when I mark my pen around the circle (which comes all too crooked), and click on the "TEXT" tool as recommended, it wont go the way the pen tool has been marked. Any suggestions or easier way to go on about doing this?

Thanks so much!
    Aggie
    Blog | Gallery
    Proudly creating for: Angela Barton, Andrea Victoria and Bree Clarkson's Launch Pads

what version of photoshop are you using???

I know how to do this in CS and CS2 if that helps??

Kate
    kate

My blog....

Im using CS2 thanks for the much needed help!
    Aggie
    Blog | Gallery
    Proudly creating for: Angela Barton, Andrea Victoria and Bree Clarkson's Launch Pads

ok here's how I'd do it... hope this makes sense....

On a new layer I'd use the circular shape tool, set to 'paths' to make a circle slightly larger than than the one you want to write around. Then using the type tool drag the curser to where you want the text to start and you should see it 'bend' to the shape of the circular path and click to start typing.

You might need to play around with the size and spacing of the text and the size of the path a bit to get it to fit right. You can also drag the start point of the text using the path selection tool.

I hope this makes sense... feel free to PM if it doesn't and I'll see if can explain it better

HTH

Kate
    kate

My blog....

Thanks Kate, I'll try this out, if not,expect to receive a PM from me!
    Aggie
    Blog | Gallery

Chatty Super Star Hanging with the Chicks! Heather_R's Avatar
    You can also select the item you wish to write around. Once you have the selection you can change the selection into a path by going to the Paths palette and choosing Make Work Path. Then make a new layer, choose the Type tool and move it over the path. When you see a slash like line show up, click and start typing and the type will go around the path you have created. Hope that helps.
    Heather Roselli

Thanks Heather! Im going to try that too!
    Aggie
    Blog | Gallery

Heather! grat explanation...THANK YOU! works like a charm~
    Deanna
    deanna hall photography

Im so far behind in scrapping..its not FUNNY! its been over a year!:26:

Since I had just typed this up at 2Peas earlier this week I thought I would include it in here for anyone else that may need it in the future:

I always hate trying to explain how I go about things b/c I figure I may be doing something “wrong” or someone else has a better/faster way, but here I go…

Here’s an example of typing around a circle and typing in a circle. This can be adapted to type around and within squares, scallops, ovals, whatever.

--Select the object you want to base your path on (circle in this case) by Ctrl + Click on the thumbnail. Your mouse needs to be over the thumbnail (circled in red below) when you Ctrl + Click.

--The circle should be surrounded by marching ants

--You can also make the path smaller or larger than the circle….SELECT --> MODIFY --> and choose either “Expand” or “Contract”
    --Click on the PATHS palette (circled below)

--Click on the “MAKE WORK PATH FROM SELECTION” (arrow pointing to it above)
    --Click on your TYPE TOOL (arrow pointing to it below) and select your font, size, alignment, etc.

TO TYPE OUTSIDE THE SHAPE:
    --Move your mouse close to the outside outline of the circle until the mouse pointer looks like what’s circled above.
    --Click once where you would like to begin and start typing

TO TYPE WITHIN THE SHAPE:
    --Move your mouse inside the shape until the mouse pointer looks like what’s circled below.

--Click once and start typing

You can also create a freeform path.
    --Select the 3 things below (I know, I’m just so technical)

--Draw whatever wave, line, doodle you want on your canvas
    --Then select your Type Tool
    --Click on the wave, line, doodle you just created
    --Type away. What you type should follow what you just created

Another note about typing on a path. Lots of times I will create a big rectangle and just cut away at that until I have a “space” where I would like to type my journaling. Then set that as my work path. Then I can type my long-winded paragraphs and it looks nice (to me) justified on both sides.
    *~*karen*~*

~~~> Click HERE for a good time <~~~

WHOA!!!!!!! COOL! screen shots Even!...Now to figure otu how to make a good stitch! thank you SO MUCH!
    Deanna
    deanna hall photography

Im so far behind in scrapping..its not FUNNY! its been over a year!:26:

Very useful info, thanks girls! :regular_s

I'm glad it was understandable LOL. When I do stitched on a path, after you "Make Work Path from Selection" you want to click on the brush tool, select your stitch brush and the color and then hit the "STROKE PATH WITH BRUSH" which is 2 figures to the left of the "make Work Path from Selection" thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynnder
    WHOA!!!!!!! COOL! screen shots Even!...Now to figure otu how to make a good stitch! thank you SO MUCH!
    *~*karen*~*

Little Chickie Hanging with the Chicks! Angelbq's Avatar
    What I do is use the filter distort>polar coordinates make sure that it is crossed or dotted off at the option: rectangular to polar. Then you can resize this as an ordinary object to fit to your circle pattern. First make sure that the text is long enough so that it will form a complete circle as opposed to a letter c for example, also experiment you might want to adjust the height of the text before making it round, and then consider if you want the letters upside down vice versa, for then you would have to rotate it.
    *ANGIE (Bizzi's queen)*

< my Blog <My new Scrappy BLOG

coffee, photography, and cute kids. who could ask for more? Administrator Charla's Avatar
    Karen, Your instructions with the screen shots are perfect. But I'm having a problem: the cursor isn't changing what it looks like! I've tried both inside and outside my shape, but it's just not showing up. How long does it usually take? 5 seconds? 30?

Chatty Super Star Hanging with the Chicks! Heather_R's Avatar
    Charlene, are you getting a thin but solid line as your path? If so, did you select the text tool? Anywhere within the path you should see the parentheses thingy and if you hover over the path line itself you should see the little wavy line as your text cursor. Shouldn't take any time really, at least on my computer. HTH
    Heather Roselli

coffee, photography, and cute kids. who could ask for more? Administrator Charla's Avatar
    Do you both have CS or CS2? (I have PS7...wondering if that changes things) I have a thin but solid line as my path, select my text tool, and nothing happens. If I click inside, or outside of, my path, I get a straight line, as if the path isn't there.

If that doesn't make sense don't worry about it. I'm way over-tired and it will probably make sense if I try it again after getting some sleep. Thanks!

Thank you, Karen! Hope this will work in PS6.

Sorry, don't know if lower versions than PSCS have the path function

Quote Originally Posted by GodBlessAmerica
    Thank you, Karen! Hope this will work in PS6.
    *~*karen*~*

Chatty Super Star Users Awaiting Email Confirmation MarshaZepeda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by berekah
    Do you both have CS or CS2? (I have PS7...wondering if that changes things) I have a thin but solid line as my path, select my text tool, and nothing happens. If I click inside, or outside of, my path, I get a straight line, as if the path isn't there.

If that doesn't make sense don't worry about it. I'm way over-tired and it will probably make sense if I try it again after getting some sleep. Thanks!
    Makes a HUGE difference.... this won't work unless you have at least CS... which is one of the major reasons why I upgraded... hth!

Thanks, Marsha. That explains it!! Good to know that I should stop trying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast