The DigiChick

Just a Baby Chick Hanging with the Chicks!

So Frustrated with Printing!

I'm relatively new to making digital layouts. I think this will be something I will LOVE but I'm frustrated with my attempts at printing. I can't figure out why, when I print from Photoshop Elements, the colors on the screen are not even close to what comes out of my printer. However, if I pull the file up in Illustrator, the colors are true (but the resolution is off). Can anyone shed light for me on what's going on here? I am so frustrated by my lack of knowledge! :-) Thanks for your input!

Melissa

Kinda done with this Jack Frost nose nipping thing... Digichick Designer Mom0fgirls's Avatar
    Melissa -

Do you have it set up so in the print dialog box so that Photoshop manages colors and the color profile matches your photoshop file (usually sRGB IEC61966-2.1).

Then you need to set your printer preferences to "application manages colors". My printer also has this automatic photo fix option that I shut off.

This is what works for me anyway...
    Cathrine St.Clair

Lover of all things furry and four-legged. Hanging with the Chicks! donnawells's Avatar
    It also depends on the actual colors in the file and whether or not they're achievable when printed. Some colors can be created for viewing on the monitor, but the inks don't have the capability to match them. Not sure that makes sense. The colors might be out of gamut.

Ultimate Super Star Hanging with the Chicks! nicoleseitler's Avatar
    Is there a shortcut to check for that in PSE? I know we have one in PS. It's... CTRL + Y? I can't remember right now.
    sugarplum: facebook :: blog :: twitter
    just me: my bloggity blog :: pinterest

happily creating for: krystal hartley :: studio flergs

Not all who wander are lost Administrator hollyinjapan's Avatar
    I never print directly from PSE - you're right the colors and quality are horrible! I save my file in jpg form, then print it out from my fave Irfan View application. (Not trying to plug for them or anything, but I've always liked how the printing controls that program offers.)

Queen of cramming 30hrs into a 24hr day Hanging with the Chicks! wildblueeyez's Avatar
    I think this thread also could apply to us hybrid girls. I really have to tweak the brightness and saturation to achieve the colors I see onscreen. interesting - I'd love to know more! keep tossing those suggestions out!

I may have to sit and do some small 2 x 2 inch squares with the different suggestions here to see how to get the best printing for my hybrid projects!

Nicole, there is no gamut warning in PSE.

Empress of Random Hanging with the Chicks! juliesouthern's Avatar
    Y'know, I calibrate my screen, but I still find things print differently; it's such a bummer.

Lover of all things furry and four-legged. Hanging with the Chicks! donnawells's Avatar
    Can you try saving your file as a PDF and then opening it in Acrobat? You'll get different colors there, too, but you might find you like them. I've had good luck that way when things weren't printing right out of certain applications.