The DigiChick

Just call me a Ditzy Chick Hanging with the Chicks! ShabbyShaz's Avatar

Tell me about .Rar

Can someone please fill me in on what a .rar file is and how I can use/see/unzip/whatever/ it is that I need to do.
    Sharyn

Honey, tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic Hanging with the Chicks! Danyale's Avatar
    oh yes, the mysterious .rar.
    It is just like a zip or any other file that has been compressed. Not all file extractors work, but WinZip that comes on most computers does not unzip them unless you have a paid version extension? Please, anyone, correct me if I am wrong.
    I use "Extract Now" and I know it unzips any type of file I throw at it, and it was free.

Are we there yet? Digital Creative Chick AZK's Avatar
    I use a program called Stuff It to extract .rar files. I was able to DL it free off the web.

Thanks ladies..off to try them out.
    Sharyn

Yuk! Clicked through on the file, went through the windows search for the unzipper and it came up with the stuff it one. So I downloaded that.

But it won't recognise the file!

Think I am going to give up with these .rar files and delete them.
    Sharyn

Lover of all things furry and four-legged. Hanging with the Chicks! donnawells's Avatar
    Can you send the links to me and I can rezip them so you can open them?

Sounds interesting..can do - thanks!
    Sharyn

Spite: a perfectly acceptable reason to return a jacket *OR* refuse to change your avatar photo... Hanging with the Chicks! wishingwellcreations's Avatar
    I use 7-Zip. You can download it for free, and it will unzip just about ANY format (including .RAR, which I couldn't access prior to using 7-zip)... and/or it will also allow you to create/compress files to just about any format. I love it. I'll go find a link, and be back...

ETA: download link for 7-Zip -- http://7-zip.org/
    Last edited by wishingwellcreations; 12-27-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: linkerooski
    ~ Laura ~
    BLOG | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | NEWSLETTER | MY GALLERY

~ happily creating for Sugarplum Paperie, Mari Koegelenberg, and Dawn by Design ~

Thanks everyone!
    Sharyn

Empress of Random Hanging with the Chicks! juliesouthern's Avatar
    I use unziplify, it does .rar too.

Queen of cramming 30hrs into a 24hr day Hanging with the Chicks! wildblueeyez's Avatar
    I've had a trial version of WinZip on my computer for years and still can use it to unzip files. you don't necessarily use WinZip to unzip the files. as long as it's on my computer, I just right click and choose "extract here" (or whatever the verbage is LOL) and the file is unzipped.

a computer geek friend of mine told me about doing it this way years ago. I've never had any problem with it unless someone tries to choose another option after right clicking. not sure how it works but as long as it continues to work, I'm good

The files were not worth it, so getting deleted anyway. LOL
    Sharyn

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together Hanging with the Chicks! vivie's Avatar
    Sharyn, RAR files are just another way to archive, using the WinRAR archiver. I think the important part of this is that it supports UNICODE for non English languages, so you find more RAR files in europe and other countries not using English...

I use 7-Zip too!!!