The DigiChick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What works for your cough?

Nik and I are sitting on the couch just taking turns coughing. I have cough meds for him but he is having coughing fits inbetween doses. You ladies are always full of awesome ideas so what tricks do you use to get rid of a cough?

Man, coughing is one of the worst things...it's so rough on your body. I know after I get "coughing sick," my body is as sore as if I'd been beat up. Hope you guys get better quickly.

I have no sage advice for the coughing. I usually just take enough sleepy-time cough syrup to knock me the heck out.

Homeopathics work the best for us. I like the Chestal kids' syrup...it almost always knocks it out. That, and a thick layer of Vicks!

Kate - for me I so do that - take the cough syrup and go to sleep! But for some reason the stuff doesn't knock Nik out?! I guess he fights it?

Charla - I can't believe I am saying this but I totally forgot about Vicks. Off to the store!

I heard an old wives tale about Vic's on the bottom of the child's feet and then put socks on. It's crazy, but it does help my kiddo's congestion. It probably works just as well where your supposed to put it, too LOL

Spite: a perfectly acceptable reason to return a jacket *OR* refuse to change your avatar photo... wishingwellcreations's Avatar
    Here's something that works great if you're battling the annoying tickle-your-throat cough that keeps you from falling asleep easily when you lay down and your sinus congestion starts to drain down your throat...

...HONEY.

Take a spoonful right before you lay down. It coats your throat just long enough for you to fall asleep before you have coughing fits. Works like a charm about 80% of the time. And it's totally safe for kids and adults, and chemical-free. NOTE: babies under age 1 should NEVER eat honey, though. So it's for the age 2 and older crowd...
    ~ Laura ~
    BLOG | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | NEWSLETTER | MY GALLERY

~ happily creating for Sugarplum Paperie, Mari Koegelenberg, and Dawn by Design ~

My mischief is only intermittently managed. dawnfarias's Avatar
    Laura beat me to the honey. Take it one step up and see if you can find local raw honey.

Ha, I looked this up a couple of weeks ago when my daughter was driving me nuts, er... coughing a lot. I came across something that I couldn't even get her to take, so for sure a child would hate you for life if you made him take it It was a combination of honey, ginger, cayenne and apple cider vinegar. Ew. However, she drank hot honey water with lemon and it did help a lot.

Honey, tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic Danyale's Avatar
    We always had "Hot Toddy" with honey, lemon and a shot of whiskey...even when we were young. Our pediatrician did not come right out and say it when Emi was sick this past winter, but she did say "We lived with no harmful effect..." So with Emi, warm shower, Vicks then she had a "Hot Toddy". First time she had slept in over 3 days, and the rest helped her get over the worse of the body aches too. Hard to relax when you are hacking.

Hugs to you both, hope you feel better soon.

We've had to deal with several colds and coughs since Chloe started Kindergarten this year...ugh. The best cough syrup that I have found for her that she will actually take is the orange flavored Delsym. I do end up giving her more than they suggest when she has a super bad cough, but other than that I try to stick to the recommended dosages.

Also, I find that when I run the humidifier in her room and close her door that helps her too
    ☮.▪▪.:♥♥:.:**:.▪:JENN:▪.:**:.:♥♥:.▪▪.☮
    My blogaroo...my personal site - ajoyfulheart.com...my newsletter

Quote Originally Posted by ajoyfulheart View Post
    We've had to deal with several colds and coughs since Chloe started Kindergarten this year...ugh. The best cough syrup that I have found for her that she will actually take is the orange flavored Delsym. I do end up giving her more than they suggest when she has a super bad cough, but other than that I try to stick to the recommended dosages.

Also, I find that when I run the humidifier in her room and close her door that helps her too
    I hate to tell you this, Jenn, but it's probably not Kindergarten. It's probably living here in the Valley. Apparently, the Native Americans used to call this area "the Valley of the Sickness." Lovely, right? Just wait until mid-summer when they start to put the defoliant on the cotton (mid-summer through October...oh joy!). Oy vey.

At any rate, I'm now on Singulair plus Sudafed whenever I get active congestion. My general doc told me the other day to just take it every day regardless, but the pharmacist suggested that i ask for a prescription for it. Thoughts of the ATF (Alcohol-Tobacco-Firearms...the SWAT-like police force that does drug raids, etc.) storming my house looking for a meth lab came to mind and I'm trying to do without the daily Sudafed for now.

I didn't want to be left out, so here I am. Thanks, Pamie!

Some of the mothers I have met here who have allergies have told me about how bad it is here...not fun I've heard that the cotton season is really bad...can't wait! LOL I do not know if Chloe has allergies or not...it seems to be actual sickness that's going around...she could be developing allergies though since Nashville was also known to cause allergies...my two oldest have them now

I finally tried Sudafed with my last cold and wow...I had forgotten how great it works!!
    ☮.▪▪.:♥♥:.:**:.▪:JENN:▪.:**:.:♥♥:.▪▪.☮
    My blogaroo...my personal site - ajoyfulheart.com...my newsletter

Honey, tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic Danyale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ajoyfulheart View Post
    The best cough syrup that I have found for her that she will actually take is the orange flavored Delsym.
    We love this one too...

Not all who wander are lost hollyinjapan's Avatar
    As long as I don't have a fever, I like to keep my chest warm with a heat bag. My dad sent me a bag (filled with something -beans? rice - heat beads of some sort?) years ago. You put it in the microwave for a few minutes and it holds the heat for several hours. Its pretty heavy compared to just an electric heating pad but the combination of heat and weight on my chest help my cough and just make me feel better...

Thanks for all suggestions ladies!! We have usved several of them to get through the day. Honey, ginger, Vicks - hoping that tomorrow brings fewer coughing fits!

That is terrible about the allergies! Hoping that the meds work for ya'll! Nik might have them but this time it is more flu like ...fever and the whole bit!

People say "It's the thought that counts, not the gift", but couldn't people think a little bigger? jacinda's Avatar
    At night time we cut up onions (diced), leave them on an uncovered plate in the bedroom, and 9 times out of 10 it soothes the kids cough. It stinks, but seriously, it works for most coughs - but particularly dry/irritating coughs, and my kids ASK for onions at night now because they know it works.

Quote Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
    At night time we cut up onions (diced), leave them on an uncovered plate in the bedroom, and 9 times out of 10 it soothes the kids cough. It stinks, but seriously, it works for most coughs - but particularly dry/irritating coughs, and my kids ASK for onions at night now because they know it works.
    I know it sounds different but I've heard of how effective this is. Several friends use onions in similar ways to this and they say it works every time. I haven't tried it yet but I have DH was just doing the spoonful of honey before bed while he battled a cough a few weeks ago and it was the only thing that gave him relief long enough for him to fall asleep (He had tried all the cough syrups without much relief so this was his last resort. ). Hope things are better at your house now, Chel!

Onions?! That is different!

We are still fighting the good fight. Nik is much better and I am hanging in there.

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together vivie's Avatar
    Amanda had childhood asthma badly, so the coughing was a nightmare...the only thing that worked for us was plain Robitussin, with both the expectorant and the cough suppresent. Sudafed didn't work as it agitated her and made her all jumpy. And none of the home remedies worked at all since the coughing was mostly asthma related. When we left the U.S., i brought with me boxes of Robitussin!!!

We use Vicks on the bottoms of our kiddies feet and it does seem to help. We also use those Vick's plug ins.
    Proudly creating for Amy Stoffel, Karen Lewis, Ju Kneipp & Cluster Queen Creations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast