The DigiChick

How do you store hangers?

We have a fairly small laundry room, and I need a creative way to store hangers. I've already got a shelf over my washer/dryer, so I can't put them there. I should take a pic to show you what it looks like right now. What do you do?

I didn't want to be left out, so here I am. Thanks, Pamie!

Queen of chaos Hanging with the Chicks! Nathalie's Avatar
    I have seen some nice pins on pinterest, maybe there is a solution for you? Maybe you could hang a curtain rod underneath the shelf and hang your hangers there?

Our laundry gives me headaches. It is tiny, there are three doors leading to a build in linnen closet, family bathroom and rumpus.There is a large sink in there and two hanging cupboards that do not match and are ugly. We also have to have our two cat litters there. Our dryer is standing on top of our washing machine and there is just a tiny space left for our washing basket. There is no space for hangers, shelving or some sort of work top.
    Nathalie - eNKay Design

Queen of chaos Hanging with the Chicks! Nathalie's Avatar
    Last edited by Nathalie; 02-11-2012 at 05:43 PM.
    Nathalie - eNKay Design

Mischief managed Digital Creative Chick cardinalskate's Avatar
    I have something similar to what Nathalie suggested, with a shelf and a rod underneath to hang hangers/clothes from.

Super Chickster Hanging with the Chicks! inkspots's Avatar
    Piling them on the washer doesn't work?

Honey, tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic Hanging with the Chicks! Danyale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by inkspots View Post
    Piling them on the washer doesn't work?

uh, yeah. You have to store hangers? All mine are used...hahahahahahaha!

In the closet? LOL We gather them when it's time to finally put the laundry away.

Squirrel!! Hanging with the Chicks! ccouch's Avatar
    Same here. I have an unused section in my closet where we pull hangers and store them. When it's time to hang up clothes, they're waiting for us

You remind me of the babe Hanging with the Chicks! teachermom_Rach's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gette3 View Post
    uh, yeah. You have to store hangers? All mine are used...hahahahahahaha!
    this is me too...or the clothes never make it to the closet, so the hangers hang dejectedly. They're pretty sad about it, I'm sure.

I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcam, and Jersey. Hanging with the Chicks! Pamie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geniabeana View Post
    In the closet? LOL We gather them when it's time to finally put the laundry away.
    This is what I do, too. Leave them in the closet and pull them out when it's time to hang stuff up.

If I left them in the closet, I'd never hang stuff up! I need them right there in the laundry room...that's the only chance they'll get used! Lol

Character? We have that! Hanging with the Chicks! Chel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sinead View Post
    If I left them in the closet, I'd never hang stuff up! I need them right there in the laundry room...that's the only chance they'll get used! Lol
    I totally understand that! We leave ours hanging in closet or hanging on the floor. *giggle*

I'm another one who just leaves them in the closet LOL That's how my mom did it and I had no idea that there was another way to deal with it. I think we are too lazy to bring hangers down to the laundry anyway - easier just to carry them up and toss them on the bed and hang from there.

Empress of Random Hanging with the Chicks! juliesouthern's Avatar
    when I take my hangers down to the laundry room the clean clothes never make it to my closet. It's much better if I throw the clean clothes on my bed, then I am forced to put them away before I can go to bed, LOL.

Mischief managed Digital Creative Chick cardinalskate's Avatar
    If I don't hang clothes up right when they come out of the dryer, then I may be forced to iron...and I NEVER want to have to iron anything

Me, too, Kate!

Empress of Random Hanging with the Chicks! juliesouthern's Avatar
    I never remember the dryer, so I have wrinkles pretty often. I cope with that in one of 3 ways (listed in order of importance/occurence)

1) Make an excuse. (i.e. it got that way in the car)
    2) Throw the item/items/whole load back in the washer for a short rinse cycle and then try it again.
    3) Iron. I do actually iron. There's a heated rug under my ironing board so it's a great way to warm up my feet. And I like bawling people out in my head while I iron, so if I have cold feet or I'm mad at someone, odds are I will catch up on ironing

My mischief is only intermittently managed. Hanging with the Chicks! dawnfarias's Avatar
    I can't help myself! For days, when I've seen this thread title, all I've wanted to say is "In the closet?" Which is both cheeky AND true and probably much less than helpful.

And today was the day I finally had to get it off my chest.

Thank you for your patience.

lol Thanks for that, Dawn.

Ok, so how about your opinion based on what you see. HOW could I store hangers in this set-up?

THe grey bins are supposed to be for white/light colors/dark, and the pink rolling bins on the floor are for clean clothes (a pink bin for each girl. There's also one for DH and I, but they are in our room right now.).

I currently have the hangers in a basket on the washing machine, but that's a pain because I constantly have to move that basket in order to actually do laundry. The washer lid opens up almost up to the shelf, and I usually have a basket for clean clothes that need to be folded/hung on top of the dryer.

Ok, go!