Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kinda done with this Jack Frost nose nipping thing...

A new kitchen floor :)

Just got the kitchen/powder room floor measured - now to wait and see how much it will cost to replace it.

Its a 20 year old vinyl that sees all the traffic into the house - it is seriously beat up. (years with 3 kids and a dog are not kind to floors).

Maybe new counter top too - yippee!! (keeping fingers crossed)

So what is your kitchen floor made of? Do you love it?

I've been looking at high durability sheet vinyl (I really don't think I want actual tile). I was surprised at how nice some of the designs are.
    Cathrine St.Clair

I have tile, really old too, and I love it. Easy to maintain and clean, durable... perfect for a busy (and messy!) place like a kitchen!

I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcam, and Jersey.
    We have a tile-look laminate floor - very durable and not as hard or cold as tile. We're in the process of remodeling our kitchen right now, so I have pictures handy on FB if you want to see!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=237c9e34d3

I have tile (large tile - 16" squares). It is kinda cold, and it is hard, but I still really like it It's the least maintenance floor I've ever had. The only drawback is if you drop something breakable, it will smash it to smithereens. I've had vinyl in many houses and wood in one. The vinyl was nice in many ways, although durability was an issue back then, hopefully they have made strides with that.
    Pamie, is your laminate floor slippery when it's wet? I had a friend who complained about her kitchen floor, but she was inclined to complain about everything so I wasn't sure, LOL.

I have vinyl in my kitchen and hate it. It's not so much the vinyl itself that I hate...it's that when the builders laid it, they did a shoddy job and the seams have collected dirt and grim that will not come out. (And this grit was visible less than a year after we moved in). We have carpets in the rest of the main floor, including the dining room. Whoever decided carpet in a family dining room was a good idea did not actually have kids themselves! I want to replace all the flooring, but can't decide if I want to go with wood or vinyl, and whether to do the whole level in one (as in wood) or leave one section in the living room as carpet. Either way, it needs to be done!!!!

You'll have to post pictures when you finish, Cathrine!

When I was married I had 12" x 12" ceramic (?) tiles. I thought they were really easy to keep clean. I hadn't been a big fan of that kind of tile but I DID like it.

Now, I have those industrial tiles that they use in schools and hospitals. They have to have a wax coating after you put them down. I LOVE the color choices because they have super bright colors and I picked cream, bright yellow and hot pink! I still like them, but I wish that I'd had a professional do the wax coating part. It has gotten pretty scratched up from pets.

I wouldn't have done the ceramic in this house because it's old and the floor isn't level. They would have cracked for sure.

Pamie, my inlaws have something similar. It looks like tile but it's actually laminated floor. They are very happy about it!

I also have big ceramic tiles. I like them, but yes, they break everything, and they'll even chip themselves. I have a few chips in front of my refrigerator. Other than that, I really do like it. It is cold, and it is slippery when wet, for sure.

I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcam, and Jersey.
    Well, I know my floor is slippery in socks, because the kids love to "skate" on it. It is somewhat slick when wet, but we don't typically mop it since it's vinyl. We'll use the wet Swiffer and spot clean really terrible messes.

Originally, I thought I wanted tile, but my Mom has had all sorts of problems with hers cracking and stuff. It could very well be the installation. And my friend complains that her tile floor is so hard it makes her knees hurt (??). She spends tons of time cooking though.

Also, the dishwasher won't fit in to its space if it has to go over the typical thickness of a tile - so we would have to raise the base cabinets up a little.

So - I was looking at "tile like" vinyl. I want sheet vinyl so I have as few seams as possible. But some of the laminate products are beautiful too. I'm having them price both - that might make the decision for me

If there is any $$ left over - I'd love to put glass tile on the back splash.

Pamie - you kitchen is beautiful. I LOVE the cabinets. I bet you're ready to be done. I've renovated (gutted) 2 kitchens and remember washing dishes in the bathtub too!
    Cathrine St.Clair

I can offer no help - I don't really like our kitchen! But that is not the titles fault just the colors I dont like really. But anyway! So cool that you getting some new floors! Hope that there is enough left over to do all your plans!! You will have to show us before and after photos!

Do you have a link to the one you've chosen? I'm interested to see what it's like.

Ugghh... I'm sure I'll change my mind about 16 times before I settle on something - I have such a hard time with this stuff. It feels so permanent

Anyway - I'm looking for something that is already dirt colored - I figure that will really help stretch the time between mopping..... And the kitchen windows have views of gardens, and one window is a greenhouse window. So I thought I'd play with a garden shed kinda theme (and take down this wallpaper!)

So I was eying this brickish, paverish sheet vinyl:

http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/vi...oor-120607.asp

Or maybe this stone paver-ish laminate (though I'm wondering if it will be too dark):

http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/la...oor-118459.asp
    Cathrine St.Clair

Pretty! I especially like the stone. I think it would stand the test of time as far as style goes. I think the brick might end up looking dated after awhile. Personal opinion.

I like the stone, too. It seems a little less obvious and a little more interesting, y'know? I might be influenced by past experience, though, we had some absolutely terrible brick stuff once, LOL. It was no where near as classy as the Armstrong but I'm sort of ruined for it now In a way I was lucky - we moved so often it didn't seem that I was ever stuck with what I picked! And now that I'm staying put I have something I more or less like

Love the stone, too. The brick, in addition to what the other ladies said about becoming dated and all, seems awfully dark. I think it would give off a very somber feel.

Yay about the new flooring! I agree with the girls about the stone one. It looks classy and seems like it would handle wear and tear well. Congrats on the kitchen makeover. It's always fun to get a new look. )

The other concern with the brick for me is the small repeat in a large area might start to look boring (its an eat in kitchen). I think I'm being influenced by my love or real brick floors - visited too many historical homes I think!

I also fell in love with this room from BH&G and so want to go live there. Check out the floor...

Here is another kitchen floor I've been eying - but I need to see the color variation in person. This one might be too orange.

http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/vi...oor-120565.asp

This kind of stuff is always a long painful process for me!
    Cathrine St.Clair

Oh yeah, that brick floor is amazing.

I'd be so overwhelmed. Once your options are narrowed down, STOP LOOKING! You'll always find something that "might work."

I love looking at floors! We just bought are house and are totally re-doing all the flooring except the wood in the dining room. DH really wants granite for the kitchen, and we are doing black and white, so it will be black granite I think. It is beautiful.

I love that stone - look one you linked! Gorgeous! I love black and white, and the reason we are going with it is because the cabinets are white. BUT in a perfect world I'd have a warm brown colored kitchen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast