The DigiChick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Instagram Pics

I scrapped my first smartphone/instagram photo last night! I <3 it. It feels just like a vintage photo on the layout.

I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcam, and Jersey. Hanging with the Chicks! Pamie's Avatar
    Val, sadly I have an average intelligence LG POS phone. It's certainly not smart. I have an ancient iPod Touch that doesn't have a camera. I'm hoping to upgrade my phone in June or July and get the iPhone 4s.

Ahhh. Our neighbor just got his first smart phone. He came over a little bit ago so we could show him how it works. lol

Snow: She knows how to manage men! Hybrid Creative Chick scrappycath's Avatar
    Do you have to "share" your instagram photos in order to use the app?
    ~Cathy~

Spite: a perfectly acceptable reason to return a jacket *OR* refuse to change your avatar photo... Hanging with the Chicks! wishingwellcreations's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scrappycath View Post
    Do you have to "share" your instagram photos in order to use the app?
    Nope. I have my Instagram set to private, and I never upload to FB or anything. There are ways around it.
    ~ Laura ~
    BLOG | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | NEWSLETTER | MY GALLERY

~ happily creating for Sugarplum Paperie, Mari Koegelenberg, and Dawn by Design ~

Squirrel!! Hanging with the Chicks! ccouch's Avatar
    Okay, so someone tell me why Instagram is better than say my phone's camera + Lightbox? I've used both and don't see much of a difference. Processing is pretty cool in Instagram, but I hate how long it takes between shots.

I really want to get better at pics with my phone cause there are times when it's all I've got with me and there are things I don't want to miss. You guys get this though
    Last edited by ccouch; 05-12-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: camera's phone & phone's camera. not the same thing.

Empress of Random Hanging with the Chicks! juliesouthern's Avatar
    The only reason I use instagram is because it's usually in my pocket when I'm out, and it uploads it online so it's easy for me to pick up when I have scrapping time. Are they great pix? No. Are there irritations? Yes. But in spite of those issues, it's in my pocket and it uploads to a central location without me having to think or plan.

Julie, I had to edit. I didn't say what I meant to ask.

So, yes. I always have my phone with me, and taking pics with it is going to happen for sure. I guess I'm just curious about the apps. Is Instagram better than just using the regular ol' in-phone camera app?

Spite: a perfectly acceptable reason to return a jacket *OR* refuse to change your avatar photo... Hanging with the Chicks! wishingwellcreations's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccouch View Post
    Julie, I had to edit. I didn't say what I meant to ask.

So, yes. I always have my phone with me, and taking pics with it is going to happen for sure. I guess I'm just curious about the apps. Is Instagram better than just using the regular ol' in-phone camera app?
    Is Instagram better? Probably not. It's just one of a gazillion options for editing your photos. To me, it's a quick/easy/brainless way to take an average shot with poor lighting and make it look like it was done on purpose (read: "artistic").

You could surely achieve the same (or even better) results by just taking that same shot w/ your phone camera, and loading the photo onto your computer, and editing it with any software (PS, lightroom, etc.) -- using actions, or even just free-hand tweaking it.

In fact, I just remembered that there was a cool thread (started by Christy last year) about editing photos in an Instagrammy way on your computer, without an iPhone or Instagram... and here it is.

ETA: Also, The Daily Digi did this article last week about using your smartphone for photo editing (among other things), and there are lots of good ideas/resources that I bookmarked for "someday when I have time to come back and choose one and try it out, but not this week because I am too behind!" LOL
    Last edited by wishingwellcreations; 05-12-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: adding another link to phone-camera editing apps :)
    ~ Laura ~
    BLOG | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | NEWSLETTER | MY GALLERY

~ happily creating for Sugarplum Paperie, Mari Koegelenberg, and Dawn by Design ~

Empress of Random Hanging with the Chicks! juliesouthern's Avatar
    LOL, I knew what you meant. But for me it's the lack of planning and foresight and later editing that make it work. If I knew I was going to have to doctor the photos, I wouldn't do it, thereby defeating the purpose. So again, this is going to have to be something you tailor to your own needs I think there are other apps that take square pix and do a better job from a photo quality standpoint. Hipstamatic has more interesting filters. So pick what works for you and use it. I think the "using it" part is the most important part

okay This all makes sense. I like taking a photo with my phone, and then being ready to take another photo right away. It seems like (if I'm doing it right), that with Instagram I have to do a filter, then save, before I can snap another photo. Instagram's filters are really nice, though. I do like the crappy ---> artistic vibe.

I think I'm almost leaning toward phone-camera + Lightbox. I dunno...

Thanks for the links, Laura. I'll check those out

Quote Originally Posted by wishingwellcreations View Post
    Nope. I have my Instagram set to private, and I never upload to FB or anything. There are ways around it.

Thanks!! I have the app and I've wanted to use it - but I don't like "sharing" my photos.
    ~Cathy~

Quote Originally Posted by ccouch View Post
    okay This all makes sense. I like taking a photo with my phone, and then being ready to take another photo right away. It seems like (if I'm doing it right), that with Instagram I have to do a filter, then save, before I can snap another photo. Instagram's filters are really nice, though. I do like the crappy ---> artistic vibe.

I think I'm almost leaning toward phone-camera + Lightbox. I dunno...

Thanks for the links, Laura. I'll check those out
    You don't have to take the photos with Instagram. You can take the photos with your phone camera first, then edit them in Instagram
    ~Cathy~

Little Chickadee Hanging with the Chicks! ChristinThomas's Avatar
    I found an app called MagicHour (not sure if you can get it for android) You can create your own filters and they have tons of filters to choose from. They have a free app and a $1.99 app. The free one only can download 3 filters but the paid one you can download as many as you want. I like this app better than Instagram because I'm not limited to what I can do with my photos on my phone.

Here, there and everywhere!! Digital Creative Chick chloe's Avatar
    It exists for androi, Christin, I just downloaded it! Thanks for a new app to add to my collection! LOL

Little Chickadee Hanging with the Chicks! ChristinThomas's Avatar
    LOL you're welcome Chloe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12