The DigiChick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Chickster Hanging with the Chicks! stevens89's Avatar
    Yay! How cool Dawn. I'm sure you'll love having a dSLR. I bought my first one about a month ago and while I still shoot mainly in auto, the pictures are amazing!! I'm trying to learn manual but for some reason, my photos always have a blue tinge to them

Here, there and everywhere!! Digital Creative Chick chloe's Avatar
    Emilie, check your white balance if you haven't already. It can make a HUGE difference. Try to take the same pic with various WB settings, you'll see what I mean!

My mischief is only intermittently managed. Hanging with the Chicks! dawnfarias's Avatar
    I bet Chloe's right about the white balance, Emilie. You can always fix blue in PS with the photo filter set to warm. But I'm sure you want to get the SOOC shot as best you can, right??

coffee, photography, and cute kids. who could ask for more? Administrator Charla's Avatar
    Dawn, you'll love it!! The 5100 is awesome! And you'll love having the shutter speed with a new baby

I think Chloe's probably right about the white balance.

I think it's hilarious that everyone's encouraging Alamama to get an SLR, and me, the one with a big-mama SLR, is trying (not convincingly) away from one! I hadn't realized just how unusual my view of this is!!

My mischief is only intermittently managed. Hanging with the Chicks! dawnfarias's Avatar
    You're probably trying to protect her from unnecessary stress, Charla. I feel that way about recommending Blogger over Wordpress. Does Wordpress rock and have uberfunctionality and unlimited awesomeness? Yes. But does Blogger do the job just as well, and more easily, for regular people that don't need so much uberfunctionality and unlimited awesomeness? Yes. So why stress them out if they don't need to be?

But I did think I heard in Alamama's tone a willingness and desire to learn more about dSLRs. So, there's that.

coffee, photography, and cute kids. who could ask for more? Administrator Charla's Avatar
    Yes! That's exactly it, Dawn! Thanks
    And I took her post as being more that she wants something that doesn't have as steep a learning curve, which is why I was steering her away from the SLR!

Chatty Chickster Hanging with the Chicks! NikkiFB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnfarias View Post
    I just ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-16-2MP-D...ikon+d5100+kit

Been looking at it for a while and finally had enough $$ for it. It's my first dSLR!
    Congrats!! That looks great! My camera is a Nikon D40 (their bottom-of-the-line dSLR from about 5 years ago) and I am kind of wanting to upgrade a bit sometime... I think mine only has 6 megapixels! Still it does the job and I have really enjoyed taking some online classes and learning to shoot with it. I'm sure you will too! LMK if you ever want to get together for a photo walk downtown or something!

Super Chickster Hanging with the Chicks! judet's Avatar
    I also have a DSLR

But I also have a Canon Powershot, it's getting on a bit now but it is a GREAT camera - it has manual controls on it which is fantastic for when you have the time to set up awkward shots but takes good pics on it's modes. I also really, really like the Canon Ixus (I think it's called an Elph outside of the UK?) that my BIL has, much smaller than my powershot and its predecessor that I left in a restaurant a few years ago :doh:
    :: Jude ::
    : Creating for : The Digichick :
    : Kate Hadfield : Kim Jensen : Tickled Pink Studio : Amy Wolff :
    : My Gallery :

LMK if you ever want to get together for a photo walk downtown or something!
    NIKKI! That would be soooooooooooo fun. Give me a while to learn some things and we'll go downtown during the fall time. We'll make a whole day of it! Sooo excited...

Squirrel!! Hanging with the Chicks! ccouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnfarias View Post
    NIKKI! That would be soooooooooooo fun. Give me a while to learn some things and we'll go downtown during the fall time. We'll make a whole day of it! Sooo excited...
    Sometime, say maybe the first weekend of October would be stellar!! . A photo walk was on our list of requested activities. I was thinking a mission tour might be cool for photos too.

Mischief managed Digital Creative Chick cardinalskate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccouch View Post
    Sometime, say maybe the first weekend of October would be stellar!! . A photo walk was on our list of requested activities. I was thinking a mission tour might be cool for photos too.
    More and more jealous!!

What's a mission tour, Christine? Something like a scavenger hunt??

Quote Originally Posted by ccouch View Post
    YES! Now I'm even MORE excited then I was before. How is that possible?

Charla - the missions in San Antonio are Spanish frontier missions.

Squirrel!! Hanging with the Chicks! ccouch's Avatar
    I've only ever been to the Alamo, but have always wanted to visit the others. The architectural would really be unique for our TX guests .

Oooooh! That makes me realllllly excited. I can't WAIT!!!!!!

Super Chickster Hanging with the Chicks! inkspots's Avatar
    Congrats Dawn and Emilie on the new cameras! I don't shoot in Auto, but in P mode, which is semi auto. (I'm a Canon girl, so not sure if it's the same on Nikon.) It allows me to change ISO, doesn't pop my flash. I'd say it's a good starting point. It's funny, when I have time to set up my photos, I usually shoot in aperature priority, and yet my husband does shutter speed. Anyway, you'll love it, the speed, and the control you'll have over your photos now.

And yes, very jealous about a photo walk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12