The DigiChick

Here, there and everywhere!! Digital Creative Chick chloe's Avatar

Your scrap-related strength and weakness

Curious Chloé strikes again... What do you consider your main strength scrap-wise, and your main weakness. Do you have a hard time journaling? Do you rock your shadows? Are you a master at clustering? On the other side, would you like to be able to create those minimalistic pages?

One thing I'd love to get better at is to do "artistic" pages. I love a beautiful artsy look, art-journal style, with blending and such, but when I try it never feels "right". One thing I'm good at, though, is journaling. I consider scrap as a visual journal (if not an art journal, see above! LOL) and journaling is definitely an important part of my pages. I journal on most of them and those pages are always the ones I cherish most, even when they are not perfect technically or graphically-wise.

Now, your turn! Come on, tell us everything!

if only our eyes saw souls instead of bodies - how very different our ideals of beauty would be Digital Creative Chick corrin's Avatar
    I think I am good at using BLUE!! I seem to use it alot!! my weaknesses are much easier to define!! I would also love to be able to create some beautiful arty, vintage style LOs, but I can't seem to get the hang of it! I am more comfortable with the bright and fun type ones (most of my pages are about my kids having fun, so I guess I have had more practice in that area!). Maybe someone who is good at the art-style LOs can give us a few pointers!!

That's a fun strength, Corrin! LOL I'd never have thought of it! And I love your suggestion. Actually, that was kind of my idea: to share our strength with those who can't get them as well as they'd like!

De moda chica who luvs her tequila! Hanging with the Chicks! Lor's Avatar
    I live in a small and quiet community in Wisconsin.
    Great thread Chloe... I'm with the two of you, I would so luv to be a bit more artsy with my LOs. Not on a regular basis, just here and there... But, for me, I've found it has to be the right kind of pic. Too me, I see artsy pics as more on the serious or sincere side. And I too seem to be scrappin' more of the crazy and fun side of my daughter and her friends, family and pets.

So this got me wondering how many artsy LOs have I created, so I went and started flippin' through my gallery pages over at DST and found, out of the 640 LOs I looked at(which took me back to LOs I created in 2008), I found 3 that were remotely close to being artsy! LOL! Ggggzzzz... That's almost 5 years of scrappin' with only three artsy LOs!!!! I think I need to work on gettin' that count up! :-)

And a scrappin' strength of mine, would be scrappin' color. I'm much better at scrappin' with brites then I am with soft or muted colors. :-)
    Laurie in Wisconsin
    My LOs at DST and DSA.

if only our eyes saw souls instead of bodies - how very different our ideals of beauty would be Digital Creative Chick corrin's Avatar
    wow Lor, you might not scrap artsy often, but when you do, wow you do it well!! they are beautiful! (and now I am looking really carefully to try to pick up tips!)

Well thank you Corrin! :-) I do know with the 3 I've done, they all involved masking, layering and playing with blending moods to the point where I had know clue how I did it. *Snort* Seriously! Just keep playing with them all until you find a combination you like, that would be my tip. :-)
    Laurie in Wisconsin
    My LOs at DST and DSA.

LOL at your tips, that's how I ended up doing some artsy stuff a couple of times, too, but my results were definitely not as good as yours. Man, the middle one especially. My mind = blown!!

Super Chickster Hanging with the Chicks! stevens89's Avatar
    Wow stunning layouts, Laurie!! I think art-style scrapping is also a weakness of mine. IRL I am the least creative and artsy person ever! I can do crafty bits and bobs but nothing really artistic...

My strength... maybe trying new things? I don't really think I have a certain scrap style so I change things up a fair bit. You know with some layouts, you can guess who did them before you see their name? Well, that's not me

ETA: here's what I would consider my most artsy page. And I'm not 100% sure I like the photo blending mode on my boyfriends face. It looks a bit funny...

I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcam, and Jersey. Hanging with the Chicks! Pamie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post

These shadows are unbelievable. I am seriously floored that this is a digi page. WOW.

Thanx ladies! But seriously all my artsy layouts were by complete accident... I say play away and see what you can create.

*And as for the white flowers on the the second LO, I can't take credit for the shadow work... the designer offered them up that way. (I wished my shadow work was that amazing!) :-)
    Last edited by Lor; 07-26-2012 at 09:10 PM.
    Laurie in Wisconsin
    My LOs at DST and DSA.

Mischief managed Digital Creative Chick cardinalskate's Avatar
    These are all amazing. Lor, those are amazing! I agree that when you DO do artsy, you do it amazingly. Emilie, that LO is gorgeous. I don't think I do artsy...well, ever.

My strength is definitely clustering. Weakness is minimalist LOs...these are not new strength/weaknesses...I'm pretty boring.

What I DO worry about is that I'm not original enough. I guess it's like the artsy LOs. I don't feel like I have enough diversity in my LOs. But I tend to always love how they turn out, so I guess I'm alright with it.

I so luv your artsy take Emilie; It's perfecto! All the touches of art on the background page are amazing! Luv it! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by stevens89 View Post
    Wow stunning layouts, Laurie!! I think art-style scrapping is also a weakness of mine. IRL I am the least creative and artsy person ever! I can do crafty bits and bobs but nothing really artistic...

My strength... maybe trying new things? I don't really think I have a certain scrap style so I change things up a fair bit. You know with some layouts, you can guess who did them before you see their name? Well, that's not me

ETA: here's what I would consider my most artsy page. And I'm not 100% sure I like the photo blending mode on my boyfriends face. It looks a bit funny...

Laurie in Wisconsin
    My LOs at DST and DSA.

My mischief is only intermittently managed. Hanging with the Chicks! dawnfarias's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corrin View Post
    wow Lor, you might not scrap artsy often, but when you do, wow you do it well!! they are beautiful! (and now I am looking really carefully to try to pick up tips!)
    Quote Originally Posted by chloe View Post
    LOL at your tips, that's how I ended up doing some artsy stuff a couple of times, too, but my results were definitely not as good as yours. Man, the middle one especially. My mind = blown!!

My strength is white space and my weakness is clustering. I guess I'm the opposite of Kate, then, huh??

Band Geeks Unite! Hanging with the Chicks! Trista's Avatar
    sweet thread. man Lor your artsy stuff is fantabulous!!

I love the artsy stuff, but I can't paint with a digi brush... all my artsy stuff is done with real paint and a real big mess.

I don't know that I have a specific strength... I like patterned papers and bold prints... and I am pretty fond of clustering... thought blocking is one of my favorite things too. My weakness for sure is photo editing. I am soooo lazy when it comes to using Lightroom - though it is supposed to be fantastic at mass editing - esp when I want several photos that will be on the same layout to look the same.
    Trista
    Proudly creating for Etc by Danyale

Great LO, Emilie. Although I have to agree with you, the color on his face "disturbs" the picture, if you know what I mean... Translate it in French, maybe I'll make sense then!

Trista, then you should definitely have a look at CharmBox goodies. They have amazing actions and textures that will help tremendously. I almost never scrap without using an action on my pix, and recently it has been those.

Spite: a perfectly acceptable reason to return a jacket *OR* refuse to change your avatar photo... Hanging with the Chicks! wishingwellcreations's Avatar
    My strength, if you look at my gallery, is that I love a good blocked layout (it's an easy way to use lots of beeeaaauutiful patterned papers, which I love to do!)... so I do lots of blocky layouts.

My weakness, if you look at my gallery, is that I love a good blocked layout... and so I do lots of blocky layouts..

~ Laura ~
    BLOG | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | NEWSLETTER | MY GALLERY

~ happily creating for Sugarplum Paperie, Mari Koegelenberg, and Dawn by Design ~

LOL Laura!!!

Heeeee! Heeeee! You are so right, your are the blocking queen! So many amazing LOs; I know whose gallery to stalk now! :-)
    Laurie in Wisconsin
    My LOs at DST and DSA.

Ms Typonese winner 5 years running Digichick Designer -liz-'s Avatar
    I would say my strength is story telling- and journaling. It comes rather easy for me to spill it all out in words.

My weakness.....blending- I can never get it the way I want it