The DigiChick

coffee, photography, and cute kids. who could ask for more? Administrator Charla's Avatar

TYS Photography Challenge - August 2012

Since this month is all about school, this month's challenge is to get a fun picture of something school-related.
    It could be your child's first day of school...or a pile of school supplies (anyone hear the line from You've Got Mail in their heads: "bouquet of newly sharpened pencils" ) ...anything you can think of that relates to school!

Here's mine: my kids having fun (I hope) and learning (I really hope!)

----------------------------------
    Since this is not strictly a scrapping challenge you do not have to make a scrapped page (though you are, of course, welcome to do so!).

To be eligible for Chickie points, you can make a layout that incorporates your photo or share just your photo with us here in this thread.

If you choose to make a layout, use whatever scrapbooking supplies you have on hand. (You don’t have to use something from our shop in order to participate in our TYS Challenges. However, if you would like to earn points toward free products, this challenge does qualify for Chickie Points. In order to earn 1 Chickie Point with a layout for this challenge, you must use at least 75% Digichick Designs on your layout.)

If you complete this challenge with a photo that isn't intended for a scrapbook page, you can still earn a Chickie Point by emailing Sinead (sinead@thedigichick.com) a screenshot of your photo (or a pic with your camera). She doesn't have to be able to see all of the details if the photo is private; she just needs to determine that you have followed along with the challenge. Sinead will add the point to your Chickie Points thread when she receives your email. Of course, you are also welcome to share your photo with us by posting your work in the gallery (see the next paragraph). In an email she needs:

• image,
    • challenge date,
    • link to your Chickie Points tracking thread
    Just in case you need a little refresher on our Chickie Points system, read more here.

Please do come back and share your work with us! (Feel free to use our open gallery here at the Digichick if you need a place to upload your layout. We even have a spot just for challenge entries!) Link up your journaling or layout to this thread, too!

The deadline to get the Chickie Points is August 31st.
    Last edited by Charla; 08-10-2012 at 03:02 PM.

if only our eyes saw souls instead of bodies - how very different our ideals of beauty would be Digital Creative Chick corrin's Avatar
    I love the gloop picture, I am sure there is a great, educational reason for it, but I just see gloop and fun!! - and I love that she is learning to write "supercool"! I'll have to keep my eye out for an educational moment to snap!

coffee, photography, and cute kids. who could ask for more? Administrator Charla's Avatar
    The "gloop" was a really fun lesson on solids/liquids. It's called, um, something I'm blanking on right now, and it feels slightly solid but then liquifies again. it's awesome stuff!
    And she's actually writing her longest word ever: supercalifragilisticexpialidocous! She did it, too!

Character? We have that! Hanging with the Chicks! Chel's Avatar
    Great challenge!
    I also love the gloop!
    Besides it is just fun to type and say gloop....

gloop gloop gloop gloop gloop gloop gloop
    I feel better already.

if only our eyes saw souls instead of bodies - how very different our ideals of beauty would be Digital Creative Chick corrin's Avatar
    wow, supercalifragilistic!! that is a supercool word! I guess I saw the gloop and thought "how cool", and then saw the writing and read it as "supercool"! selective reading!!

I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way Hanging with the Chicks! Kristen's Avatar
    We haven't started school here yet. Not me, not the big girl. But, I am a huge nerd. And I did take the opportunity to teach big girl about lighthouses, the history of the Cape May lighthouse, and the barracks/fire tower from WWII used to help protect the Delaware Bay.

And of course, since I'm a geographer by training, a bit about aerial photography. This photo is from the top of the lighthouse. The barracks are directly behind us, the fire tower is just off the upper right corner. The house we rented is the fun gray modern house right in the lower center.

ETA: And thanks ladies. Now I have Mary Poppins in my head!!
    humdiddihumdiddihumdiddi I

Oh wow, Kristen, that's awesome!! What a great shot! I took some aerial photography tonight. it's FUN!

Thanks, Charla.
    What were you shooting and where from?

Scott's aerial photog class took them out 2 at a time where they leaned out of the place where's a door should go but wasn't on.

Uh.

Nothabkyouverymuchnotasnowballhellinchanceiwouldev ergo

that is fantasic Kristen!

Kristen, we were on the top of the Ellicott Square Building in downtown Buffalo, a really cool, important building. I have friends in high places (no pun intended ) who's getting us into all the great spots!

I'm going to turn them into tilt-shift like I did with my pictures of Niagara Falls 2 weeks ago:

(this isn't my favorite picture from the Falls night, but it's the one that was in the folder, ready to upload to Photobucket You can see the others here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6049123&type=1 )

Very cool, Charla!!
    Now silly question - is it Elli-cot Square? Or is it pronounced Elli-kit Square?

L-ih-cot.

Hahah! My husband grew up in Ellicott City, MD and they insist it is kt on the end.

Like in NJ it is New-work. In Delaware, it is New-ark.

Crazy Southerners

Oh wait, now that I'm saying it out loud, I guess it is more of a kit than a cot.
    Buffalonians aren't known for perfect speech patterns either. At least it's a step clearer than Rochester, though
    (when I moved to Turkey, I had to learn how to say Rochester in 3 syllables, not 2. It came out more like Raa-chster until I trained myself to say it more clearly).

Just a Baby Chick Hanging with the Chicks! *Amanda*'s Avatar
    Here's mine. My picture is of my son's second back to school haircut. We might be getting a third haircut soon.

Fantastic, Amanda!! This is great What an awesome way to capture a not-so-wonderful memory

I took a slightly broader view on the "getting ready to go back to school" theme! My oldest two have packed lunches everyday, and my son will have one once a week too, but recently (well over the last year) they have got extremly fussy about their eating habits!! ahhhhh!! the result is that I was recenty wondering what on earth am I going to do about packed lunches when school starts again?!? So I declared this week to be "try a new sandwhich" week - the eating of sandwhiches is in itself a challenge for one or two of them, but each day we will be having a different sandwhich for lunch, and they have to try ONE BITE before they decide if they like it or not. I have various different types of bread, and am ready for 6 different fillings (Sunday is a day of rest of course!). So that is what my photo is! I have really taken it to go in my Project life stuff, but after typing all this, maybe it will make a LO of it's own!

That's awesome, Corrin! Making lunches is a HUGE part of my school memories, so getting a picture of the different things they'll try is perfect!