The DigiChick

Thread: Getting Stuck

Little Chickadee Hanging with the Chicks!

Getting Stuck

Does anyone get stuck when making a layout? I find it very frustrating. I'm not sure how to get myself unstuck.

Right now, I have a two page spread I'm working on. I have my pictures, and I have the templates I'd like to use. I picked out my primary kit based on colors I thought would work, but now I'm just not feeling it. The thing is, I don't have anything else - nor have I seen anything I'd buy - that makes me think, "Yes, this is the kit for these tough photos!" I've recolored a few elements, and I like it more now, but I'm still not in love with it.

I had the same thing happen with a layout I was playing around with for my mom. I mentioned in the post for it that I got stuck. I literally had a template and a picture, and I was 99% sure what kit I wanted to use for the beautiful shades of blue. But when I pulled in the background paper, I just got stuck. I no longer loved it, but I couldn't tell you why. I loved the kit, and it complemented the picture colors so well. My solution there ended up being to make the picture black and white, which was so unexpected. I then finished the layout in no time at all, and I really, really liked the final page.

The thing is, for the pages I'm stuck on now, I can't convert them to black and white. It takes away all of the things I love about the pictures since they are of very unique plants in a setting with bold colors. I'm just not sure what else I can do to get these pages where I want them to be.

who took my coffee cup? oh never mind here it is! Hanging with the Chicks! AnneofAlamo's Avatar
    how about using that picture b&w and with the color too, perhaps a selective color on each plant? or crop the same photo differently?

~ Facebook~ My Blog ~
    Living life to the fullest!

You remind me of the babe Hanging with the Chicks! teachermom_Rach's Avatar
    Maybe put it aside for a bit and come back to it with fresh eyes later? Sometimes when I do that I find that I like the combination I was playing with better, or in the mean time I have thought of a different way to make it work.

Is it that the colors are too similar in the photo and kit? Or too contrasting? Maybe there is a different combination of papers from the kit that would fit better?

Here, there and everywhere!! Digital Creative Chick chloe's Avatar
    First, you are not alone, I totally know that feeling. Right in the middle of a LO, suddenly it feels just blah!

When I'm in that situation, I try to either leave it alone for a moment and come back to it later. Or try to find inspiration in my favorite galleries or the LOs I've pinned. Sometimes adding a little challenge with a new technique does the trick, too. Maybe try to use another template, too, maybe that's the problem and not the kit...

I rock the inspiration! Digital Creative Chick azrood's Avatar
    I generally have to walk away for a day or two and come back to it. I also find it help to move on and do another layout in the meantime to kind of shift my brain.

Sometimes it also helps me if I get stuck on paper to take them back out and focus on the elements first, adding the papers back in towards the end.

“Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well". Hanging with the Chicks! IntenseMagic's Avatar
    Yeah, sometimes I just have to step away, too. Or I just close it and start over. I browse a lot for inspiration and sometimes it's just something as simple as flipping the template around and giving it a different look. It can be frustrating for sure.

Snow: She knows how to manage men! Hybrid Creative Chick scrappycath's Avatar
    OMG this happens to me all the time!! I usually have to walk away, or work on something else. When I come back I try turning off layers and reducing the "stuff" I've put on the layout. Helps me "see" the base of the design better and see if it is started out in the direction I wanted it to head.

Sometimes I will stop and sketch it. Then I can rebuild the design, or start over!

I hope you find your way back to the layout you envisioned!
    ~Cathy~

Little Chickadee Hanging with the Chicks!
    Thanks for all the replies. I have left the page alone for a while. I did challenge myself with a new (to me) technique I found on re-coloring elements, and I started to get in a groove a little more with that. However, I think I've decided that I'm not in love with my template and the colors of the kit aren't quite right for what I need to really make these pictures pop.

So, I guess long story short is that I learned something new on recoloring, but I'll still probably start over.

Here, there and everywhere!! Digital Creative Chick chloe's Avatar
    Well, at least you got something positive out of it, even if you'll have to wait a bit more to get a LO!

Chatty Chickster Hanging with the Chicks! trina513's Avatar
    Yes I've found that if I step away and come back I usually get inspired again! Either that or I share it with a friend who also digi-scraps and say HELP! So - share it here - we'll see if we can help

Lady, look at me. I don't even know where I am half the time Digital Creative Chick Elegy's Avatar
    I get stuck quite frequently. Sometimes I just step away from the computer for a while, play some Bejeweled or something, and come back. Most of the time I just say shnook it and start over. I have... well, I HAD 2 photos I seriously just could not scrap a page with. However, thanks to the replies to this thread, I now only have one photo!

I have SEVEN different variations of this photo on my computer, started and trashed 3 different layouts using this photo, and saved another one but never felt it was "good enough" all over a span of a few weeks! It never crossed my mind to just turn it into a black and white photo, LOL! THANK YOU LADIES!

if only our eyes saw souls instead of bodies - how very different our ideals of beauty would be Digital Creative Chick corrin's Avatar
    oh it looks wonderful! One down, one to go!

who took my coffee cup? oh never mind here it is! Hanging with the Chicks! AnneofAlamo's Avatar
    oh my! That is one gorgeous page too Elegy!! The B&W photo is just enhanced by the gorgeous clustering and soft colors surrounding it...perfect!

~ Facebook~ My Blog ~
    Living life to the fullest!

Lady, look at me. I don't even know where I am half the time Digital Creative Chick Elegy's Avatar
    Thanks so much, Anne and Corrin You make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside