Nero or Roxio? Burning DVD's?

So, Here I was, thinkin' I was all cool, gettin' a DVD burner installed in my computer, so that I could back up all my pictures, layouts, and digital kits onto DVD and save all this wonderful space!... only to discover with great frustration, that I can't burn DVD's!! Window's XP isn't even recognizing it.... every time I put a DVD in, and try to "record" or copy files or burn them, it says its not a CD, so Ifinally figured out that XP doesn't support DVD burning (?) and need additional software. Have done some research about this, and both of these programs were recomended, Nero 6, and Roxio's easy media creator.... they both have mixed reviews on Amazon, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these programs and could either recommend one or not for the purpose that I intend to use it for.... I will not be using it for anything having to do with video's.... ONLY for burning my personal pictures, my digitally created scrapbooks, and my digital scrapbooking kits, like the ones we buy here at Holly's boutique. So.... anyone.... anyone? Bueller? Can anyone help me? Am I even pointed in the right direction?
    Lauren

i used sonic on my PC
    ~~Andie~~

Oh thanks Andie!! Be more specific please... you are speaking to the technically challenged!! What's sonic? did you like it? Hate it? What does it do? I went into this thinking I'd just click on the burn button and it would do it itself... so all this hoop jumping is news to me!! I need serious help!!
    Lauren

Sonic is the name of the program it came with our Dell. It was really easy...you draged things into a menu in the order you wanted it...and then burn (baby burn!)
    ~~Andie~~

i use roxio - it's what came with my computer which runs xp on it.

i like it, but i've used this software for over eight years....and i've watched the interface change and get easier to follow.
    Holly McCaig

My husband always Recommends Nero(he has the dvd burner) and I think there is another one out there that he uses along with it for those "hard to crack" dvd's but I am not sure what it is and he is at work right now so I can't ask ..sorry.

I have Roxio and NTI. I've used Roxio for making DVD slideshows and have found it to be a HUGE memory hog. (But that's only because of what I'm doing with it.) Overall though it works pretty well. I like it. But to make my simple backups, I just use the NTI software that came with my computer.

I use what came on my computer..the HP burning program
    Amy

I also use Sonic Record Now. I have a Dell, too...came with. I don't burn DVD's but I know it has the capability.

I tried to find a trial of Nero or Roxio and neither would do what I wanted it to do (leave the CD "open" after so I could add to it...since I burn discs by designer) in the trials. Then I found out that I had this other one already installed and fell in love! It's so easy...just "add files" and burn.
    Bree
    Creating Is My Life

Proudly creating layouts for: Amanda Rockwell, Amber Clegg, Elemental Scraps, Kathy Moore, Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Miriam Lima, Misty Mareda, Nancy Kubo, and Susan Bartolini!

I've used both Nero and Roxio at work when I worked for a software company - so I've burned literally thousands of CDs in both programs. I've only ever burned DVDs in Nero, so my comparison is based purely on CDs, although there is very little (actually, no) difference between the two, other than the first option where you select CD or DVD.

If you want to keep adding a file or two every day (ok, maybe not daily - but often) to the CD, I'd probably recommend Roxio since it's Direct CD is simple to set up and easy to use, just copy files across in Windows Explorer. It should have the same option for DVDs, but if this is what you're planning to do, I'd definitely find out first. If you're just going to run a backup of everything say once a month, either is good, I personally prefer Nero. I had a lot of dud burns in Roxio, something I've never had in Nero. I always use the same brand of CDs and DVDs and it was over a period of about three years in each, so I believe it was the program rather than a bad batch of discs.

Bree - That may have been something that was locked in the trial version, you can definitely add data later as long as you select the Multisession option.
    Last edited by ljbarden; 07-31-2005 at 04:39 PM.

I was just signing on to clarify that about adding data to the DVD's since I definitely plan on doing that... I can't really say how often I'd do it.... not daily... monthly is more like it, but Lauren, were you just saying that Roxio was easier to use if you were going to be doing it every day... in terms of setting up the files to be burned to DVD, ect? I mean, you can definitely add data repeated to DVD's with Nero as well, correct? I guess, I wasn't sure why Roxio would be better for more frequent burning, as I've never burned a DVD in my life!!

Also, on amazon.com you can get Nero or Roxio, or whatever, you can get them under the "used & new" for as low as $5-10 bucks as opposed to $80...sometimes is says new and factory sealed and all that... and sometimes it says that it included the serial number for upgrades... is that what you would be looking for to make it authentic? The serial number? I've never bought software like that, but would MUCH rather pay $10 or even $20 than $80.... if it would still be legit... does anyone know anything about that?

Hey... you guys are super helpful!! Thanks!! Wish I could do a little smiley face ... just pretend it's there!!
    Lauren

I know I've got about four legal copies of Nero, keep getting one when I upgrade the burner in my PC! I would guess that some of the people selling it are in the same situation, either that or they're selling OEM copies - which are totally legit, OEM just means it's supposed to come with the PC (or piece of hardware, such as the burner) when it's first sold, rather than being bought by itself in the retail packaging later. It's the full software, but often is just the disc, no box and sometimes no manual.

What I mean by Roxio being easier is if you want to save things constantly to the DVD, as you can format it to read like another disc drive in Windows Explorer. At least you can with CDs, I am assuming the same option exists for DVD. If you're just going to save everything to it once a month, they're about the same, both have menus that guide you through step by step and both will definitely allow you to add files later on.